Sand bag for ladder had a leak ...

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I replaced the sand sacks that came with the pool with plastic jugs full of sand. But I cant get rid of the sand that keeps settling on the bottom. My readings are great and my pool is sparkling thanks to following BBB. So those little whisps of sand stick out like a sore thumb and are driving me nuts. I vacuum it up and as soon as I have to backwash it's back. I rinse after backwashing. But as soon as I switch back to filter I see it coming out of the jet. What can I do? Should I backwash and rinse longer? I feel like I'm emptying the pool. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I know one of your brilliant minds and experience can help me. Thank you!

I have no clue. They put the sand in the filter and gave me the bags to hold down the ladder when they installed the pool. This looks like regular old sand, like what went under the pool. It's rather brown, but that's cuz it's wet.

I'm going to leave this for people with more knowledge about your system.
I would guess that something didn't get seated properly in your filter - but that is only a guess. Depending on how long ago "they" were that installed the filter, I would call them and tell them that you have sand coming out of the return and ask them to come fix the problem. A good installer will stand by their work... word of mouth is the best advertising... and the worst too!
-wc

A lot of us are having problems with silt being returned to the pool after vacuuming... I am one of them. First be sure that it is in fact sand and not silt. The silt will just disappear in a little puff when disturbed. The sand will just move a little bit, and of course, it will feel gritty. My daughter dumped a bit of sand from my steps the other day and I just vacuumed it up with two skimmer socks in my skimmer basket and that took care of the sand. The skimmer socks have also helped immensely with my silt problem.

Tie a thick sock over the return and let the pump run a while. If you don't see any sand getting into the sock, backwash and rinse like you normally do and see if it gets sand in it then. If it does it after a backwash it's likely the multiports spider gasket.

You are shutting the pump off when changing positions on the multiport valve aren't you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.