Looking for the right SWG

BoyWonder

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2012
Hey guys, I have decided to have a SWG installed on my new pool. I am very new to the whole pool thing so excuse me if I dont use all the proper terms.

I am looking for some options on SWG's. I would like to install one that has a control panel for the pump, solar heater, lights, and water features. Is this asking too much? Any suggestions on brand and models? Would it be more cost effectve to purchase a basic SWG and a seperate pool control panel?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

The Hayward AquaPlus system includes a SWG and automation for a few extra devices. You will need to make a list of exactly what you want to control and check that it doesn't exceed the capabilities of that system. If you need more, you will need to move up to a full automation system.

It will likely be cheaper if you buy the all-in-one solution. Like Jason said, one of the Hayward systems will certainly do what you want. Just have to list specifically what all you want it to do.

For reference, the AquaPlus is the same as the Pro Logic P4, but the AquaPlus included the SWG cell. In the ProLogic line, you have to buy the cell separately.

Thank you. I was considering the Aqua Plus system. Do you know if it comes in anything other than the 40,000 gallon system? From what I have found that is in my budget but I was wondering if 40,000 gallons is too big of a system for my setup? I will have an auto cover and want to keep covered when not in use. Not sure if that matters.

Not sure if it comes with a smaller cell. What size is your pool. We generally recommend a cell up to 3 times larger than your pool.

You may find the pro logic p4 and add a smaller cell for a similar price.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

As you've already got a couple of Pentair products, take a look at their Easytouch and Intellitouch automation systems. Both can be purchased with their Intellichlor SWG, and will do what you're looking for. As far as Intellichlor size goes, I'd go with their IC-40.

Just my $0.02 worth.

mhosborn said:
As you've already got a couple of Pentair products, take a look at their Easytouch and Intellitouch automation systems. Both can be purchased with their Intellichlor SWG, and will do what you're looking for. As far as Intellichlor size goes, I'd go with their IC-40.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ditto on this, although the intellitouch is quite a bit more expensive. And I totally agree with the IC-40, even though you're building a smaller pool. The larger cell will last longer and not work as hard.

Lastly, since it's virtually all Pentair, your builder should be able to get the equipment warranted (IIRC) for three years, at no cost to you.

Thanks for all the input. Talking to my PB. It is still early and the Hayward AquaPlus is definetly less expensive. If I decided to go with the Hayward system would it make more sence to go with a Hyward pump or should I just stay with the Pentair and bight the bullet and go with EasyTouch? I guess what I'm asking is a complete Pentair system better than a complete Hayward system?

Lastly I am having trouble figuring out which EasyTouch system to price. It needs to be able to control my solar heater and I'm not sure if need one with or with out actuators. My PB isn't too much help on this since I am an electrical contractor and will be hooking it all up myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Although most likely someone here will be able to answer your question, Pentair has an excellent forum for asking questions and getting answers directly from Pentair techs. The URL is www.poolfyi.com.

Although I don't need all of its capabilities today, I got the Easytouch 8/Intellichlor IC-40 combination to allow for future expansion. (I have the Pentair Intellibrite 5G lights as well). Yes, this is probably more costly than Hayward's system, but it does give you the advantage of the 3 year warranty, and the ability to control the automation from an iOS device like an iPad or iPhone (with the Screenlogic option). I can't speak to Hayward's support, but can tell you Pentair's support, either online via their forums, or via phone, is outstanding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.