How to pick a new solar cover

James

Apr 29, 2008
I have a 26' round on-ground pool which is 3 years old. the solar cover that came with it finally fell apart at the end of last season so I am now in search of a new one. The local pool store here where I purchased my pool (New Brunswick, Canada) only carries one kind which is I believe is 8 mil blue/black cover with a life expectancy of 3 years. When I search online there are many options from thickness, longevity, color and shape of bubble - any ideas as to which is best band for my buck. Also is there a preferred site that offers good prices including shipping.

Thanks,
James

Have you looked at those new disks that you can throw into the pool.

1. They store more easily.
2. Are safer, if someone or something was to fall in.
3. Look easier to put on and off the pool.
4. Look like they last longer (as in nearly forever)

I know they cost more. I believe they only provide 80% instead of 100% coverage. But those plastic tarps have to be replaced at least every 3 years. Cleaned annually. Are ugly and take up alot of space. They are an absolute bear to get on and off the pool usually requiring a roller and two grown men.

My pool is 20X40 inground and I have a solar cover reel. I go with the 8 mil cause the wife can roll it up herself on the reel.
It's lighter than the 12 mil but doesn't last as long. I buy one every year and at the end of the year, my neighbor takes it and uses it for his garden. The next year i buy a new one. Works for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.