Non-Standard Ladder Anchor Width - 17.5"

Jun 27, 2012
Hello to the knowledge base...

I've just now opened our pool in time for July 4th. The house was a foreclosure with the nasty stories. The liner was slashed and all the equipment (pump, heater, ladder, etc) removed. I've got the pump & filter in running, but my installer had trouble with the liner and is planning to replace it because it has too many wrinkles; so it will be drained in the fall and then closed for the (Michigan) winter. For this short year, I don't plan to invest in the SWCG and salt, but I'm planning for next year now.

I'm having trouble finding a ladder to fit the existing anchors. They are 17.5" on center! Some ladders say the can go down to 19" centers. Has anybody got a source for 17.5" width ladders? Of course it needs to be corrosion resistant. I don't like the idea of surface mounts or (ugh) replacing the anchors.

On a more pertinent topic, I'm also open to any non-typical advice on closing a pool while planning on salt water in the spring. Like, should I wait to add the salt in the spring or as soon as the new water is in? I'd hate to find a nightmare when I open it up in the spring.

TIA!
Dan

Hi Dan,
I think you may have a hard time finding a ladder that narrow. You're talking about from anchor to anchor, correct? There may be places that custom make them, but I'm not sure. I'm having a similar problem but mine is that instead of 17 inches from the anchors to the sidewall of the pool, mine is 20 1/2 inches.

What you may end up having to consider is putting in new anchors that are the standard 20 inch width.

As far as adding salt, I would definitely wait until spring when you get your SWG. It's not going to do any good to add it now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.