Aboveground pool bonding

All AGP's are supposed to be bonded.
Attach #6 (or 8, depending on where you live) solid copper wire to one of the wall lugs (the ones that connect the 2 ends to each other) and run the line back to your pump, there should be a bonding lug on the pump. The line should be +- 6 inches in the ground.

The water should be bonded too so see if there is any metal in contact with the water either in the skimmer or the plumbing and then to the pool and the pump as stated above. Should be a "halo" around the pool 18-24 inches away from the pool about 4-6 inches deep. It should be a 8 gauge bare copper wire.

The halo goes around the pool and bonds to atleast 4 legs (metal) which also bonds it to the frame, then it goes to the pump lug and then to the water. Anything else that you have attached to the pool that is metal like steps needs to be in the loop too. The excess wire is coiled into a 18-24" coil and buried under 4-6 inches of soil 18-24" from the pool and pump.

poolmama67 said:
So the halo bonds the water correct?

No, the halo just surrounds the pool to "collect" any stray voltage in the ground. The water its-self need to be bonded by introducing a piece of metal that is a minimum of 9sq inches, and then that is connect to the rest of the boding wire.

Here is an example of a device to bond the water. There are a few ways this can be done.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/17 ... onding+kit

^that is the same place I bought mine. best price on the internet.

Bonding the water can be done a couple of ways. You need atleast 9 sq inches of metal in contact with the water at all times. The Brundy waterbug is a stainless plate that goes in the skimmer and bonds it. There are also metal pipe nipples that have the required metal contact too. I am building an AGP now and will be bonding it myself. I should be free to start that this coming week. When I do I will make a tutorial and post it.

Here is my build thread. It has pics of the brundy waterbug and the needed parts to bond.
18x34-doughboy-agp-autumn-breeze-new-pics-t46193.html

My steps are plastic and pvc. I am going to post of pic of the side of pool with a full sheet of metal. Is this a bonding piece? Is this not something that should have came with the pool?

20120704_1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The rules for bonding above ground pools vary from place to place. In-ground pools essentially always need to be bonded, but some regions count most above ground pools as temporary and don't require bonding. Bonding is a good idea regardless.

Just a friendly warning about Acehardwaresuperstore, these guys will charge your credit card instantly for whatever you buy and they are in no way associated with Ace Hardware. I had placed an order for the water bonding kit listed above and could never get anyone on the phone to check on when it might ship. They also have a very bad reputation of running a bait and switch on shipping charges. I was finally able to get a response through email and hopefully cancelled my order.

I'm not trying to blast the company because I know several on this board have used them successfully. Please check their facebook page(accessible through their website) and also resellerratings.com to see some of the comments that others have made about their shopping experiences with this company.

Just want to give everyone a heads up on what I found

Glock said:
Wow, sorry to hear that. It did take a long time to get mine but I ordered it way in advance (unbeknownst to me at the time) so I never really paid attention to the time. Did you finally get one?

Found one on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow, hate to say anything negative but just want people to be aware of what has happened to others.

Glock said:
^always good advice. It's a safety thing regardless of requirements and safety is never a mistake.

Codes - whatever that code may be - is a MINIMUM. If somone "builds to code" they are building to the bare minimum of safety standards.

Always better to go above and beyond. Having said that, I doubt my ABG has a ground halo - having seen how the previous ownner did electrical work in this house. I do have a ground rod and have been bonding things to that though.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.