New Here!

Jul 4, 2012
Help! I am new on this site. You were HIGHLY recommended by a friend! Here is some info
I have: 16x32 grecian,sidestep inground pool.Vinyl liner. Hayward Sand Filter, pump is Hayward Super II Self priming 1 HP 115 volt
date of pool install:7/24/1988 cannot pool test at this time, BUT- The pool is GREEN, ver very green! I believe there are no chlorine levels. I was told I may Shock it with BLEACH. I am going on friday to purchase the bleach. Do you know how many gallons of water this pool size contains? So as to determine how much chlorine to add?
How do I add this?-directly into pool slowly,with filter running? or into the skimmer area for circulation? I need help!!!

Order a recommended test kit now. You will not be able to accurately follow the shock process as described in pool school without it.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thank you! But I was hoping for a little help in the meantime,can I purchase one at pool store asap, instead of having to wait? Because I wanted to start Friday, my daughter is home w/ my husband, he is unemployed at the moment, and I feel bad we cannot afford for her to do anything else. was just hoping to get a jumpstart on the pool:) thank you for your help, and by the way, anyone know the gallon amount of a 16x32 inground pool? :wave:

maria_egri said:
looked it up on the pool calculater, which to me, looked like chinese, that is how uneducated with this stuff I am!!!Anyway, I believe it is 23,000 gallons? :wink: :wink:

We want to help, but we'll be speaking Swahili to you if you don't do a little reading in Pool School first. You said you're not going to buy the bleach until Friday, so please spend your time until then reading. The articles there will answer a lot of your initial questions. We can help with the rest.

As for size, and using the pool calculator, we can help with that too. I assume it's an above ground oval, 16'X32'. (EDIT: just read in ground, sorry about that) How deep?

You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it is VERY rare to find it locally. Best/Fastest bet would be to order from tftestkits.net

How deep is the pool? Is it oval/rectangular/free form?

Keep reading pool school.

There is no way to even guess at how much bleach you need to add until you know your current CYA level ... since the FC shock level depends on it.

The pool did not get in the state that it is in overnight, and it is not possible to fix it overnight.

OK!Yes! I know, we just pulled the liner off. We couldn't even think of opening it, but I am finding a way! :lol: So guess what? Let's start! I have just tested it~
hardness:between 100-200
Free chlorine: 0/0
Ph: >6.4
total alkalinity: 40
Cyanuric acid:0
I know it is all bad! I was hoping to avoid the pool company~I know I walk out spending about $300! I know you can help with bleach and possibly baking soda? Yes, I actually have been reading and reading your site! Thank you for all your help! :goodjob:

How are you testing? IF strips, that is not going to be good enough to finish the job, but we can get started.

Is the pump running?

pH is clearly too low. You need to add soda ash or borax to get it into the 7s
TA should be brought up to at least 70ppm using baking soda
You also need to raise the CYA up to around 30ppm to protect the FC from the sun
Then it is a matter of adding bleach to maintain FC at shock level consistently (for a CYA of 30ppm, shock level is FC of 12ppm)

You can buy all these things at Walmart or most of it at Home Depot/Lowes and avoid the pool store.

Thank you Jason! What is soda ash?I have heard of Borax, that is powder?(I mean is it powder?)How many gallons of chlorine should I purchase to start? And Baking soda~ a large box enough? I will go back to the area to find out exactly what the CYA involves in the pool calculator. Thank you for your help! :party: oh By the way- yes the pump is running and we used test strips for now. the pool is 16x 32 inground, 23,000 gallons, ran by sand filter and Hayward ! HP self priming pump. The depth is 8 feet in deep end and 4 ft low end (which is rounded to 6 feet depth) :wink:oh and what is exactly stabilizer, what I add to increase the CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use pool calculator to figure out how much you need to add. I don't give access now.

Stabilizer = conditioner =cyanuric acid= CYA

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Hi, I plugged your numbers into the pool calculator. You would need 96 ounces of stabilizer/CYA/conditioner (it is known by any of these names) Walmart usually has the HtH brand in their garden or toy section. You should raise the TA first with baking soda, re-test the pH and raise it with washing soda or borax if needed. You can find washing soda and borax in the laundry section. For a current CYA of 0 you will need 5 96 ounce jugs of 6% bleach to raise the FC to 10. That bleach will deplete quickly so you may want to buy about 20 jugs of bleach to start. Re-test every couple of hours the first few days of the shock process, and add bleach as needed to maintain shock level.

Hi maria_egri and welcome to TFP! :)
Order yourself a test kit, TF-50, TF100 or Taylor K-2006.
I'm a machinist, without my tools I can't do anything properly.
My TF-100 test kit IS my best tool in my toolbox it will fix and prevent any problems I have with my pool water!
Here at TFP these FAS-DPD test kits are your tools of the trade without them you'll have a difficult time of doing it properly and efficiently.
See here for east coast:
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
For west coast:
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... TF-100.htm

With test #'s from these kits we're able to help and guide you to a perfect pool!

Chuck

hellomy pH is high,8.4and even though I had my chlorine tested at pool company THIS morning, it is reading low. I wasn't sure whats going on, beacause my chlorine was perfect earlier. Using chlorine ever couple of hours all night last night, and vacuuming/scrubbing pool with brush all night too. All levels were good.But I needed 3 bags shock and an expensive tub of Poolperfect+Phosfree.They said I needed the whole 101.5 fl. oz. what exactly is that? Is there a less expensive alternative to this? And also, I had purchased the Borax, but have not used it because I was not sure how or when,what was the Borax for? Right now all my levels are good, pump running straight day/night. It is no longer green, it is cloudy/white. Do you think it will clear up soon? The only level high is pH and free chlorine is low, although read good at pool company. Please let me know what I should do next, my daughter is so anxious to get in ,I know to wait until clear and safe of course! :cool:

Yikes ... the pool store appears to have done one over on you ... STOP GOING THERE!!!

You DO NOT need to worry about Phosphates and you should not be using any "bags of shock". You know it is a process not a 1 time throw in some powder type thing.

Did you order your kit yet? Likely it would have cost you less money than you just spent at the pool store and would have actually been useful.

At least post up the full test results they gave you ... "perfect" and "levels are good" mean nothing to us.

I will tell you this, it is going to take a LOT longer to clear your pool if you keep trusting the pool store and not trusting your own test kit ... it will also cost you a lot more money.

What test do you use to measure your CL?

If you are going to the pool store (PS), they are very likely to tell you need something so they have something to SELL you. It is referred to as being "pool stored". The PS testing is notorisly inaccurate. It would be best to take any money you spent at the PS and buy the test kit so you can make accurate, informed decisions about what you need. THEN you can shop at Wal-Mart, homeDeport and others for the bleach/chlorine and most of the other chemicals your pool likely needs to make it un-green.

If your chlorine really is low, you need to keep it up until all the green is gone and the water is clear (and you lose less than 1FC overnight). Your filter will get all the white out of the pool if given the run time and attnetion it requires. It will require attention when your pressures are raised.

maria_egri said:
.. All levels were good.But I needed 3 bags shock and an expensive tub of Poolperfect+Phosfree....

How does this make sense? If the levels were good... why do you need these? If you levels were incorrect, I could see needing something...but "Your levels are great, Here's a ten pound tub of "EmptyYourWallet" and three bags of "I Don't need this shock" That will be $123.45, please pay at the counter?" No thanks. They do not need your business if they are going to "give you the business". If they are going to make honest recommendations, great. If they are selling stuff you don't need ...goodbye!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.