Pump input air leak - use silicone for temp fix?

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
I've got another air leak, this time it's on the threads on the pump input. You can hear it whistling. Given the temps, heat index over 100s for the next few days, and how much I wanna use my pool (I'm on vacation), can I just use aquarium type silicone sealant around the leak/thread union for a temp fix? I was at lowes today for some other stuff and explained my problem to plumbing guy, he said to do this. I made sure he understood that it was a pool and the pressures/suction involved - he understood and said I should be good with aquarium silicone as it won't get sucked in.

I know the perm fix would be to redress/teflon tape the threads, but don't want to mess with it.

Thanks in advance.

-edit-
Should I apply with pump on or off? google has told me conflicting answers.

Seems to have worked.

WARNING: Do NOT get this stuff on your skin. I was working it in there with my fingers, big bead and globs on my fingers and hand. Took me 30 minutes of hard brush scrubbing with soap and mineral spirits to get it off. It was literaly quickly curing on my hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.