What is this white thing I found in the skimmer basket?

barco

Apr 29, 2008
This was in the bottom of my skimmer basket. The pool builder is gone and I'm trying to finish the pool and do the startup myself. As I recall from my last pool, I think this gets installed inside of the skimmer down at the bottom and adjusted partially open. Is this right from my recall or am I totally lost? Seems I remember seeing this at the bottom. If so, what percentage should it be open? Which side does it go on...there are two holes in the skimmer basket I think...its filled with too much junk currently to tell completely though.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 255
That is the flap that goes over the suction line in the skimmer. You screw it into the middle and you can then rotate it back and forth to control how much water your skimmers are pulling. Really its up to you how much you want it open but it needs to be enough to skim. The second hole in the bottom of the skimmer is to attach the main drain if there is only one suction line. If the main drain has a separate line then the second hole will have a permanent plug.

IF the builders installed two lines to the skimmer then you are right but there are other ways to plumb a skimmer so it might be an unneeded part. Does your skimmer line have a valve to open and close it or do you have a valve to select between main drain and skimmer? If so then this might very well be an extra part.

waterbear said:
IF the builders installed two lines to the skimmer then you are right but there are other ways to plumb a skimmer so it might be an unneeded part. Does your skimmer line have a valve to open and close it or do you have a valve to select between main drain and skimmer? If so then this might very well be an extra part.

I don't know.....and my pool is filling still...just trying to get ready with some replies. :wink:
I baled it out and the skimmer has two holes in it....one is open...closest to the skimmer flapper. The other has a pipe screwed into it that is sealed so it was obviously a part of the pressure test and will have to be unscrewed once everything is running. Is this a return? This hole is located furthest from the flapper.

My return on the pump side has one value and two lines (but I believe one is for waterfall). I have a separate line for the booster to the cleaner. I have two lines that return to the pump equipment with one valve that can be set in the middle or to favor an end. So are you saying this valve with two lines may in fact be one line from the drain and one line from the skimmer? And if so, don't need the part?

Ok, I turned my pumps on today. It seems that the two pipes coming from the pool. One is the drain and one is the skimmer. So, theoretically I could just turn the value a bit and reduce the suction on the skimmer without having to install the white plastic cover or do I still need to install it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.