Safety Cover Anchor Installation Questions

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
I've done some searching on the forum, but not really finding answers to my questions. I just purchased my first safety cover (GLI ProMesh) and I'm getting ready to install it. Let me know your thoughts on the questions below.

Should I drill the hole deep enough for the anchor (~ 2") or drill all the way through the concrete pad? I have heard drilling all the way through is better for drainage and keeping debris out.
Should I use carbide vs diamond tip drill bits?
Should I drill a small pilot hole first or just drill once with proper size?
Should I install center straps first, then go out from there or start with corners and work in?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I thought the installation instructions came with recommendations for depth. I want to say mine said about 1/2 to 3/4" deeper than the anchor itself. Thats what I did, I did not go all the way through the slab. Whichever way you do it, make sure to vacuum out the hole to get all the concrete dust out before pounding the anchor in.

IIRC I used carbide tip bits

I did the small hole first, larger hole second but only because I was limited by the tools. I had an old corded Black and Decker hammer drill and a small Hilti model. Pre-drilled with the B&D, finished off with the Hilti. If I had to do it all over again, I would rent or buy a true hammer drill (SDS or splined) and do the correct size hole in one shot

I floated my cover on the surface of the water, picked a reference point and then lined it all up based on that. Again it was in the install instructions how much cover to have past the edge of the coping. I think mine said 18", so I floated the cover until there was 18" of cover past the coping. Adjusted all the straps so they were the same length then marked, using the reference point to keep the anchors basically in a perfect line. It didnt come out PERFECT, but its off by so little you cant tell.

It ended up being a full day job, probably would have been at least a little faster with the correct hammer drill, but overall it was well worth it. All of the quotes I got were showing about 800 for my cover and at least 2K for labor. I paid the same 800 for the cover and pocketed the 2K in labor cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.