Diving Board Base Anchor Broken

Fronobulax

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2010
Central Alabama
Ok, my SR Smith Flyte Deck base cracked in the back. It appears that it was due to the original installer not installing fender washers. As a result the nuts/lockwashers on the board finally came through the stand.

While soaking the stand nuts with penetrating fluid (very very rusted) and periodically hitting them with an impact wrench one of the frame bolts separated at the surface of the pool deck.

The cheapest and easiest method seems to be to buy the SR Smith epoxy anchor kit. and get a whole new base to bolt my old board to. But I'm not sure how much longer a 20 year old board can be expected to last.

I would love to get some advise on best method for installation and selection of base/board, based on the following:
- The board is about 20 years old
- It is an 8 ft board (should I go 6' if I'm going to epoxy the anchors?)
- Pool is large enough for a 10' board (per SR Smith guides)
- It seems that people here are not fond of the epoxied anchors (has anyone here used them, or has anyone seen them fail?)
- I've gone salt and was thinking of the new SR Smith salt board may not have the rusting problems in the future
- I'd really like a springier board, the old flyte deck and the Fiber-Dive board was pretty stiff

A lot is going to depend on how much use and abuse the diving board gets. My pool is 31 years old and is now on its 3rd diving board (also 8 ft), the first one failed after about 10 years of moderate use, when a 250 pound man was jumping off of it and it snapped in half. The second board was replaced last year as it was showing signs of stress cracks in the fiberglass, and someone heard about a newer 2 or 3 year old board of the same size that was available for free, it had been in storage for about half its life after being removed from service after an diving accident. Note I am not particularly fond of the idea of diving boards, as they are a real safety concern, if it would have been up to just me I would probably have used the cracks as a excuse remove the diving board and not to buy a replacement.

Ike

I think I'm reasonably OK on grounding as only one of the original bolts in the stand broke. If there is a one piece jig that tied the original three bolts together, the remaining two bolts should be on the same electrical plane as before. If the original installation did not ground the diving board then I'm just as unsafe as I've ever been...

Quick question though. I've never seen a unfinished pool. Do they actually make a metal circle/cable/wire around the pool and attach everything to that
single plane or "equipotential bonding loop" (ladders, frame, board, grounding rod, etc)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.