Strange ladder question

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
I have a question for those of you who have had and AGP for a while. I've noticed lately that every single stinging insect known to man likes - no wait - LOVES my pool ladder. They buzz around and land on my ladder all day long. Honey bees, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. Sometimes it gets to the point where I have to swat away 3-4 different stinging insects just so that my son can get in and out of the pool. It's also not very nice having them so close to where we are swimming.

Has anyone else experienced this? These things are specifically attracted to the ladder. Does anyone have any ideas why? I know bees are attracted to bright colors, but it seems to involve more than this. They seem to care less about the deck, pool, or anything else around but they swarm around the ladder.

I do not have this. I do get all sorts of flying bugs, including both bees in my water, but I think their interest is the water. I also have a lot of wasps in my yard but they pay little attention to the pool, at least when we are out there. None of the fliers hang out at the ladder. Your signature shows the pool is partially buried, but does not indicate if you have a deck at all. I'd wonder if there are nests either in the ground (some wasps do this, and I've had bees with homes at ground level near a landscape rock) or under a deck or underside of pool rail. Good luck!

Thanks all. Well, we live pretty much out in the middle of the woods now because the subdivision is not developed yet so it's likely that all types of nests are everywhere around here. There is a deck around the pool, so it's also likely that there are some of these things living under the deck. But their interest seems to be centered around the ladder. They seem to care less about anything else out there. They do not bother us at all, I just don't like the idea of them buzzing around so close to where we are swimming, especially with a 2 year old around.

Bama Rambler said:
What color is the ladder? I've heard wiping a little WD-40 on things will stop them but I wouldn't do that. Maybe wiping it with a bleach solution.

Sorry - the ladder is white. Bright white. I figured this may be part of the problem. We spent some time out there today and I didn't see any. Go figure. For the last couple of weeks they have been out there every day.

On ehow.com it suggest using dryer sheets around the pool area. Maybe you could try and attach them by taping them or using some twine. I think I may try this as we are getting them on the top rails.

Yeah. I've walked around the pool and noticed a couple of wasps nests hanging in or around the pool rails and deck. I think I'm going to order some of those "mock" wasp nests and hang them around. Wasps are territorial, so if they see another "nest" close by they will not build one in the immediate vicinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.