help with dual speed pump and pressure

Jun 13, 2012
Hi guys,

I have a 20x40 IGP vinly pool finishing completion. I have the hayward dual speed super pump along with a DE filter. When the pump is in high speed my pressure is currently at 10 (just backwashed a day ago because of dirt in pool after rain and testing the backwash feature). When I switch the pump to low speed the pressure reading drops to 0 but water is still going through the filter as I can see debris moving in the pump strainer basket, skimmers as well as feel it coming out of the returns in the pool, although at a lower rate than when on high speed. My question is, should the pressure reading on the filter be at 0 when I switch the pump to low speed? The whole system has only been running for a week.

You are fine. Technically, the pressure shouldn't be zero. However that is not unexpected and actually fairly common. The inexpensive pressure gauges used on pool filters are not very good at measuring low pressures. The actual pressure is probably 1 or 2 psi, but the gauge simply can't read pressures that low.

when the pump is on it seems like the water in the skimmer closet to the pump (shallow end) is swirling more than the skimmer furthest from the pump (deep end). Is this to be expected since one is further from the pump?

Yes, assuming 'one is farther' by more than a foot or two.

If the skimmers are plumbed on separate 'home runs' back to your equipment pad, you can adjust the valves so that the flow is somewhat reduced on the closest skimmer so that its to equal the wide-open farthest skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.