Solar Panel Install Advice Needed

May 28, 2012
I have a 16x32x48" Doughboy recently installed but it is freezing in the Northwest. (not literally) So I purchased some used solar heating panels I found on Craigslist. I got 6 panels that are 4x10 and one that is 4x12. The problem I have is they are from 3 different manufacturers and have different sized manifolds. The original owner had them all hooked and running but he is not around so I need some advice. Does it just go straight from the filter to the panels then to the pool? Are there any valves needed? Does the different size panels and manifolds complicate anything? Most sites say I need 2 panels 4x20 to heat my pool, should I just install 4 of the 4x10s? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

You can use all of the panels if you want. The 4x12 won't be quite as efficient as it otherwise would be because there is no easy way to balance the flow rate, but it is still worth using. The best way to set them up is to install a three way valve that can send water to the pool, the panels, or both. And then join the return from the panels back up with the return going to the pool. The panels should all be plumbed in parallel and arranged so the path the water takes is always the same length regardless of which panel it flows through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.