Freind's Pool unusable all summer, Looking for Help

Jul 23, 2011
A friend of mine called and has not been in his pool all season because he cant get it cleared up.
I went over today and tested the water and got these results:
FC 20
PH 7.5
CYA 100
TA 90
CH 600

24' Above ground pool with SWG.
The water looks cloudy, lots of particles floating like what I've seen when opening pool and keeping at shock level. I believe he has killed the algae but it is not clearing up with pump/filter running 24/7.
Any advice on how to proceed?
Thanks!

I would first strongly suggest he reads pool school. It sounds like a TON of dichlor (high CYA level) and Cal-Hypo (high CH level) have been tossed into his pool to try to clean things up. To make his life ALOT easier I would suggest a drain/refill to lower his CYA level to at least 50.

After that order his own test kit....and re-read Pool school. He'll be able to grasp things from there.

I wish there were an easy answer....but he's been blindly dumping stuff into his pool, and is likely beyond help with his current water.

Odds are the CYA is above 100ppm add that is the max of the test. Start with a 50/50 mix of pool water and tap water and double the result. Then you will have a better idea of how high it is.

Either way, a lot of water is likely breed to be replaced to get down to the recommended level near 70ppm.

Then you need to go through the shock process described on pool school.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Also what pump and filter do they have? Sand can be slow to clear the pool.

Btw, FC of 20ppm is not up to the actual shock level that should be maintained.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

There is, but the cya is a wayyyy more pressing issue. You could test the ch level of his fill water to see if the fill water is his problem, or if improper chemical additions are the issues.

Tell him to put that cash towards fresh water. Flock won't help cure much at this point. The chemistry is sooo far out, algae will regroup.

Yes, the CH is way too high, but so is the CYA and the solution is the same for both, drain and refill. He may need to do several drain and refills to get the CYA to a manageable level. Work on getting CYA down to 50. The CH will come down some with it and it is much easier to manage high CH than high CYA. With CH so high you may want to open up the filter and check the sand for channeling and/or calcifications.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.