Amerlite/Pentair light trim ring pilot screw...threads?

Jul 16, 2007
Indiana
Hi, I'm looking for some thoughts and advice.

I removed my light to clean out the mustard algae from behind it. (that seems to have been a mistake now) When I went to put the screw back in there was nothing in the hole in the trim ring for the screw to thread into. What was there a couple of minutes ago? the screw now just slides through the hole (threads are ok on the screw).

I see there is a 'wedge' device that will hold the light in. My Pentair owners manual states to only use the supplied brass pilot screw as it has something to do with grounding the light. I've looked at buying another trim ring (Pentair part number 79200200-I found the part on google). It looks as though I would have to drain the water below the light, then disconnect the light wiring, pull it all the way out, then slide the old ring out, the new one in...

Does anyone know of another method? I was initially hoping to just remove the ring, pop it over the light. Then I realized the light would never fit through the ring. I'd really like to do it with out draining the water. but am not sure what's holding the niche to the steel wall behind the vinyl liner. If I unscrew the 10 screws on the trim ring does the niche fall out from behind? The drawings I've looked at are not very helpful.

Anyone else ever have this situation?

Take the screw to a local Home Depot to the harware section with all of the screws. They will have a device with a bunch of different screw holes to allow you to determine what type/size of screw you have there. I think it is a brass 10/8 fine thread. I could be wrong. In any event, purchase a self-threading screw that is one size larger, as well as a brass screw at that larger size. Use the self-threading screw to tap the hole (or use a screw tapper if you have one), and then remove the screw. Test the brass screw to make sure it fits, and then use that to fit hold the fixture in place. This would be the simplest way to go. I'm surprised that the threading was lost on the niche. Does the tab appear to be corroded or rusted out? The purpose of the screw is not only to hold the fixture in place, but also to ensure that it electrically connected to the pool's bonding system.

You could try something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POOL-TOOL-LIGHT ... 0569076904

But, it wouldn't maintain the electrical connection unless you rigged up some kind of bonding wire between the niche and the metal ring.

Reactions: wakebob38
Thanks for the reply. I already went to Ace Hardware for the next size up screw (sorry I guess I left that out of my first post) the original is a size 10, 24 thread. The 'Ace helpful hardware guy' looked with me, the next size up in brass is 1/4", way too big, more of a bolt than a screw really.

I like your thought of a bonding wire, that's my next research project. If any thing occurs to you, please give me a shout!

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.