New Gunite pool in New Mexico

BoyWonder

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2012
Good evening, just started construction on our new pool and am new to TFP. We are building a 16x40 with a 10x16 sun deck/beach the rest of my specs are in my signiture. First any and all input would be appreciated. A few questions

1. Is there anything in my specs I need to address with PB?
2. Opinion on SWG? My PB wants $2k to add which is in my budget but still undecided.
3. Any concerns with SWG and auto cover.
4. Cartridge filter or Sand filter or sand filter with Zeo sand?

I am sure most of these questions have been asked several times in this forum but like I said I am new and my PB is wanting me to nail down some of these options.

This seems like a great forum and I look forward to learning all I can from you guys.

Thanks agin for any input.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Your chlorine usage will be well under control because of the autocover. You can use a unit somewhat smaller than most and you'll have to keep it turned down somewhat.

Generally speaking, the forum doesn't hear enough good things (and we do hear bad) about zeosand to warrant it's use. The coice between cartridge or sand will ultimately have to be yours as you will hear valid arguments for both and both will do a good job.

Thanks for your input. Any comment on SWG corroding the metal parts on my auto cover. I did search for this topic but everthing I found was from 3 or 4 years ago and Im not sure if there is any change in opinion. From what I read it is spilt about fifty fifty on whether or not the salt water wil damge the auto cover or shorten its life. There also seem to be the same debate on whether a sacrificial anode will help or hurt. My PB seem to think there is nothing to worry about but I would really like a second opinion since he is definetly pushung both SWG and auto cover.

Thanks again for your help

PS: I think this is a great site and will be donating today to become a supporter.

Happy 4th! :cheers:

I haven't seen any problems with electric covers and salt so far. (The oldest SWCG/Electric cover installation we have is, maybe 12 years old).

We have sacrificial anodes on 90% of our SWCG equipped pools, however, I can't say that they've done any good or caused any problems. That said, I think it's a pretty cheap add on (costs about $90.00).

I hope you enjoy your new pool for many years to come.

Happy 4th of July :cheers:

I have a Coverstar atuocover installed this year. It is the new Eclipse model, almost everything is stainless steel in the pit. I can take pics of the guts if you want. I love it, but it does really heat up our pool. With it left on the pool's temp has been rising 4-6 degrees, more if i run the pool pump all day.

If i could do a do-over i would have gotten a heat pump that can also cool my pool.

automatic-cover-observations-coverstar-t46899.html

Thanks for the input. Now I will have to decide on either the coverstar or CoverPools. From what I have read they are both good choices. I am a little worried about overheating the pool but we will have to wait and see what happens. I have already stretched the budget and pretty sure adding a heat pump/cooler is not an option.

Harleysilo- I would really appreciate some pictures so I can compare to the CoverPools.

Thanks and Once again Happy 4th!

PS is this harley in your name for HD? Just curious :)

BoyWonder said:
Thanks for the input. Now I will have to decide on either the coverstar or CoverPools. From what I have read they are both good choices. I am a little worried about overheating the pool but we will have to wait and see what happens. I have already stretched the budget and pretty sure adding a heat pump/cooler is not an option.

Harleysilo- I would really appreciate some pictures so I can compare to the CoverPools.

Thanks and Once again Happy 4th!

PS is this harley in your name for HD? Just curious :)

No not about HD's.....i took and posted some pics in that other thread post400862.html#p400862

Let me know if you want pics of the actual cover and i could shoot a quick vid of it opening and closing.

Don't forget when expecting rain you put a sump pump out on the cover, so you'll want a convenient outlet near the pool that is on a GFI.....the motor's can open the covers when they are full of rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.