Backswimmers, Argh. Oh, and Hi!

3pfilms

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
New here, I've been lurking since I started researching pool maintenance in September of 2011 when we purchased our house with a pool. Glad I've avoided the pitfalls of the pool store advice and have been on the BBB method this year. It's so easy, and my kids think I'm a scientist with my Taylor test kit.

First and formost my current levels

FC 10 <- I lose about .5ppm overnight and about 3ppm during the day with cover off
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 275
CYA 40

Putting the cover on the pool for the night I noticed a backswimmer, by the time I ran to get the skimmer it was long gone. I hate bugs in pools, and this has been vexing me since. I've already done a little searching around here but wanted to see if anyone has a link between cover off time / heat and the presence of these annoying creatures. My FC has been well near the top end of the recommended FC for my CYA, actually a little above since we have a lot of bather load with these hot days.

We've been having 95?F (35?C) days for a couple weeks which is great for swimming (not for landscapes though) and I've started keeping cover off to keep the water temp under control.

Are these pests just a fact of pool life? Anything I can do to discourage them? Is the cover off all day encouraging them to jump in?

3pfilms said:
New here, I've been lurking since I started researching pool maintenance in September of 2011 when we purchased our house with a pool. Glad I've avoided the pitfalls of the pool store advice and have been on the BBB method this year. It's so easy, and my kids think I'm a scientist with my Taylor test kit.

First and formost my current levels

FC 10 <- I lose about .5ppm overnight and about 3ppm during the day with cover off
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 275
CYA 40

Putting the cover on the pool for the night I noticed a backswimmer, by the time I ran to get the skimmer it was long gone. I hate bugs in pools, and this has been vexing me since. I've already done a little searching around here but wanted to see if anyone has a link between cover off time / heat and the presence of these annoying creatures. My FC has been well near the top end of the recommended FC for my CYA, actually a little above since we have a lot of bather load with these hot days.

We've been having 95?F (35?C) days for a couple weeks which is great for swimming (not for landscapes though) and I've started keeping cover off to keep the water temp under control.

Are these pests just a fact of pool life? Anything I can do to discourage them? Is the cover off all day encouraging them to jump in?

Welcome,

I used to get backswimmers all the time, until I started the BBB method. I noticed you are doing BBB too, but really had to keep on top of the pool everyday to keep them out. I noticed if I keep my PH around 7.6 and FC levels around 9-10 I never have a problem. The minute I let the FC go down below 4.0, I started seeing them again :( . I decided, every night, just to raise up the FC and keep it near the max 9-10ppm. Since I've been doing that, I never see them. Hope this helps

gsmiley said:
Welcome,

I used to get backswimmers all the time, until I started the BBB method. I noticed you are doing BBB too, but really had to keep on top of the pool everyday to keep them out. I noticed if I keep my PH around 7.6 and FC levels around 9-10 I never have a problem. The minute I let the FC go down below 4.0, I started seeing them again :( . I decided, every night, just to raise up the FC and keep it near the max 9-10ppm. Since I've been doing that, I never see them. Hope this helps

Ran at 10ppm for another week with no more signs of them, trying 8ppm now to see how it goes.
Thanks!
p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.