Releasing Air Pressure Each Time I Start Pump?

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Okay - here's one I haven't asked or seen lately.

My HAYWARD CARTRIDGE instructions say that I need to open all the valves (I understand water needs to go IN/OUT) and to open the AIR RELEASE valve at the top of the cartridge before I start the pump. Was this for just the first time I start the pump or do I need to this each time I start the pump (which is what I do now.).

However, what do I do if I want to put the pool pump on a timer? Doesn't having to be there physically to open the AIR RELEASE valve at the top each time before I start the pump sort of negate the convience of having the pool pump on a timer? What do others do? This is a 5,000 gallon ABOVE GROUND SPLASHER type pool - does that make a difference?

Thanks !!!

You only have to do this when the pump is first primed since air is pushed into the filter. After priming, the air should stay out of the pump and filter even when the pump is turned off.

However, everytime you empty the pump basket, you will lose prime and thus require an air purge.

mas985 said:
You only have to do this when the pump is first primed since air is pushed into the filter. After priming, the air should stay out of the pump and filter even when the pump is turned off.

However, everytime you empty the pump basket, you will lose prime and thus require an air purge.

Which I rarely do because I can't get the thing off because I clamped it down so tight to keep air out of the system!

HA!

So all my running around - open the air valve, turn on the pump, run back over to close the valve (which does release air) getting soaked with spray if I opened the valve too far - has been just for COMIC RELIEF??? HA!!!

There does seem to be a bunch of air released but my new HAYWARD CARTRIDGE has a AUTOMATIC AIR PRESSURE tube (thing) so I guess I'm good to go with putting a time on my pump.

Still it makes me nervous thinking the pool pump would be running without me. I'm just afraid something would get caught in skimmer and plug the whole thing up and fry the motor. So I usually just run it when I'm around.

Thanks!!!

You only have to do this once. Air can be pressurized easily...water not so easily. So you have to purge the air out so that it can be displaced fully by the water then close it off and it will hold vacuum.