New to BBB I have a question.

Jul 3, 2012
I have had my CYA checked and it is at 53 ppm. I have dropped the water level to try to get it at 50 or just below. I live in Arkansas so I have tons of sunlight.

What is the recomended level of CYA in high sunlight area?
And I am also going through a shock cycle. It is recomending me get the FC to around 20. I am very gun shy to pout that much bleach in my pool. I am up to about 6 gallons so far today. Is this normal? My FC is falling pretty quickly as I am checking it every 30 to an hour.

50 if you do not have a Saltwater Chlorine generator (swg). 53 is close enough to 50...in fact it is essentially the same number since the test accuracy is +/- 15 ppm (in the 30 to 90 ppm range).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really should just order one of the recommended test kits (see link in signature). The FAS-DPD chlorine test is the only test that will reliably test at the high FC #s needed while shocking ... and it is very rare to find that test locally (it is like the pool stores do not want you to know about it ... and further weird, most pool stores do not use it for their own testing).

Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit

Item# Product Qty Price
Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit
$74.99
(2 reviews)
Read 2 Reviews
Write a Review
Prices and availability may vary between stores and online.[attachment=0:20zz7jzm]pool test kit.jpg[/attachment:20zz7jzm]This is the one the local store carries. Will this work?

Attachments

• pool test kit.jpg
    pool test kit.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 146
That is the same as the K-2006. That is correct (although kind of over-priced for what you can get it for at tftestkits.net)

Make sure they do not try to pull a bait-and-switch on you and say the DPD Test Kit (K-2005) is the same thing.

Done with the shocking process, still slightly cloudy.

20000 gallon
vinyl rectangle
1hp with Heyward filter

I still have not received my elaborate testing kit so I am working with what I have.

FC 6
pH 7.6
TA 70
CYA 50 cannot measure but this is what it was 2 days ago based on what my pool store advised me.
CH cannot test yet
Borate cannot test yet

The pool has been clearing up slowly. After starting with a green bottom pool. I now show no signs of visible algae. The overnight test showed a drop from a FC of 5 to a 4 so I think I have finally finished the shocking process after two days of shocking. That is if I am doing things correctly.

I have vacuumed the pool and I can now barely see the bottom of the deep end.

Two Questions:

The pool has a soft feel to it. And after swimming our skin is really dry. Is something else not correct I am not considering?

Should the pool take this long to clear up?

BTW thanks for the help this site is awesome. :goodjob:

Re: Done with the shocking process, still slightly cloudy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not done shocking.

There are 3 tests that must be passed. The first two you can't really be sure of, because your FC test probably isn't accurate enough. The third test: "the water is clear", hasn't passed yet by your own admission "I can now barely see the bottom of the deep end."

Two Questions:

The pool has a soft feel to it. And after swimming our skin is really dry. Is something else not correct I am not considering?

Should the pool take this long to clear up?
Once you get the fancy test kit and get all the readings, you'll have a clue if something is out of whack and why your skin gets dry.

Two days would be almost a record for clearing a pool. And as I said above, you're not done yet. Keep up the bleach.

Re: Done with the shocking process, still slightly cloudy.

Ok I went back and re-read the how to shock your pool process. That was my fault in the first place.

My crappy test kit says my TC which is what I assume they are claiming as FC is well above 5 which is the highest it reads. It also says my CC is well above 5.

My question is this. Will the CC fix itself with continued shocking or do I manipulate this somehow that I have missed?

I hope I can make it through this shocking process with this cheapo kit I have or my new kit makes it by the time I really need it.:hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.