How much DE

Jul 16, 2011
Mesa Arizona
A good friend bought a house here in Arizona just down the street from me and he isn't moving down from Oregon for a couple of months so I'm filling it, I got the chemicals about right, working on the SWG system and I cleaned the filters. It has a DE filter. I just go the water up to the skimmer so I'm ready to start filtering . In my pool, I have a sand filter and I'm unfamiliar with a DE filtration system so here are my questions.

How much DE do I add?
Do I mix it in a bucket or just pour the powder in?
Do I just pour it in the skimmer or what?

Thanks for all your help.

The amount you add all depends on the filter model. We'll have to know that before we can even guess.

You're supposed to mix the correct in a bucket of pool water and then slowly pour it into the skimmer so it goes directly to the filter.

I "thought" that you are supposed to add 80% of the original amount. I have a 48" Pentair that takes initial 4.8#, so shouldn't 3.8# be added after each backwash?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.