do all couples fight about pool maintenance?

The wife and I only argue about WHEN to open & close the pool, she always wants it open about a month before I do and wants it closed about a month later then I do. as far as mainteanace on the pool, we never argue about that, because we have a little deal, she handles inside the house and I handle outside the house, so until we get an indoor pool all, pool related decisions are mine 8)

THE FIGHT IS OVER! (for now). The "Farmer" and I read the SWAMP Stickie last night and we realized for the last 4 years we have been getting it looking clean but not deep down clean. He has agreed to dump the water and get things right. So that's the plan this weekend. But now the question is how much do we dump? "Quarter"? Half? All? What do we need to get or do to refill (beside water) so I can be ready this weekend?

At 4 this morning, he back flushed the filter, put in more chlorine and we will keep cleaning and brushing until the weekend.

PS...
We also disagree on what "Warm Water" is. I want a solar heater but he thinks the warmer the water the more algae we will have. Is that true? and if so can you ever get a balance of warm water and no algae? and what test shows the CYA the one of mine that showed 180?

overit,

My suggestion would be to drain 50%....that'll get your CYA down into a level you can manage for the rest of the summer.

I would also suggest skipping the chlorine for now. Plan on attacking that pool (with Tons of chlorine :lol: )after you complete your drain.

You can start the chlorine as soon as your water gets back up high enough to circulate thru the skimmers.

Any chlorine you put in before the drain is essentially wasted.

Keep posting questions on the forum. This crowd loves helping with a swampy pool clean-up....you'll love the results.

One thing I will throw out there, you can drain with a pump, and you can drain with garden hoses. If you toss a garden hose into the pool, connect it to the spigot, and start water through it. Once water is coming through it, turn off water, and disconnect hose. Then just take it and toss it someplace lower than your pool. It will siphon at this point, and use all your hoses, and your neighbors hoses, and all your friends hoses. The more the better.

Attachments

• IMG_0140A.jpg
    IMG_0140A.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0141A.jpg
    IMG_0141A.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
Test Results from two different pool supply stores:

Leslie CWEST
FAC 3.2 3.4
TAC 3.2 3.4
pH 7.8 7.4
TA 218 80
Phosphates 1000 1000
Total Hardness ? 560
Calclum Hardness 1200
CYA 100 120
Salinity 3400 ?

Most of the green algae is gone, but several patches as big as beach balls of the black is still on the sides. I will try to take pictures tomorrow, (had to find my cameras battery charger!) We have a rock slide/water fall that goes over the side and into the pool. As we drain it I was going to try and spray shower cleaner (like Tilex) on it and scrub because there are so many nooks and crannies. Does anyone know if that is bad or good? or have a better idea? Each store had several things for me to buy that would fix my problem but I begged off and said I needed to drain some and refill, then talk to the "Boss" and I would come back with new water samples. I will start draining with the hoses tomorrow. I sure hope this all works or I am going to get a big fat I told you that wouldn't help from the "Farmer" :roll:

Looks like you're getting plenty of good advice, so I'll only address the question on fighting...

I had been reading BBB stuff for about a year, and this site for a little less as we built our pool. My wife has a MS in Chemistry, and is a supervisor over a laboratory at a pretty large oil refinery, and for years past she had been in charge of their wastewater QC, etc..... so she pretty much discounted everything that I thought that I knew, muchless anything that some pool folks on the internet thought they knew.

As we were building, I said, "you gonna take care of the pool chemistry?"... to my surprise, and dismay I think, she said, "Sure."

Meanwhile, I printed threads and stickies from this site for her to read, which she did reluctantly. When she started looking at the chemicals in pool stores, etc, she realized that it was virtually impossible to buy just Chlorine (everyone had their miracle additives)... and if she's anything, she's a purist. She decided real quick that bleach was the smart way to add chlorine to our pool.

Anyway... she doesn't have time to test often, so she pretty much now trusts my testing and adjustments, but she does ask questions... but she has realized that those looney internet BBB guys understand pool chemistry.

Our pool has only been operational for about 9-10 months, but we have had virtually no chemistry problems, and I can't think of any fights... (about that, anyway.)

Best of luck with yours, and enjoy Sean's site!!

Steve

There was never a single fight at our house about the maintenance. I do all the maintenance - anyone with another opinion in the household may feel free to take over the chore. Never a peep out of any of em.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Skip the tilex. It has detergents and stuff that you don't want in your water. If you really want to do something as you drain, use bleach and a brush.

When you get your pool refilled, you will need to shock hard... sounds like black algae to me. After your refill, post some numbers and we can assist you further!!

Dear Helpers,

Sending some pictures. You said you liked them but wasn't sure if you wanted algae pictures or beautiful pool pictures. I only have the algae and mess yard pictures :oops: (taken today). Hope they work. The "Farmer" is kind of hard headed, he is still adding chlorine, sweeping and filtering. But at least he is letting me start to drain it.

overit said:
Dear Helpers,

Sending some pictures. You said you liked them but wasn't sure if you wanted algae pictures or beautiful pool pictures. I only have the algae and mess yard pictures :oops: (taken today). Hope they work. The "Farmer" is kind of hard headed, he is still adding chlorine, sweeping and filtering. But at least he is letting me start to drain it.

We like ALL pool pictures! Any color water!!! :)

We really like to get the before and after pix. It helps all of us, especially newbies, see the transformation from mess to sparkling oasis! :)

Yeah, like Joyce said, log in to photobucket.com , register your login, download your photos to photobucket. Under every photo you will find a few links.... copy the "img code" and paste to where you want your photo to appear in your thread. Done.... and you can add some comments on it above or below your photo.

The messy photos and the cleaning in progress photos are for the gurus to help guide you along your cleaning. The sparkling photos are your certificate for the gurus on their job well done. To us beginers, they are our motivation to clean up instead of giving up.

Vincent

The messy photos and the cleaning in progress photos are for the gurus to help guide you along your cleaning. The sparkling photos are your certificate for the gurus on their job well done. To us beginers, they are our motivation to clean up instead of giving up.

Your sense of humor and excellent word choice amazes me, Vincent. Very good!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tried Photo Bucket, it did not like my cell number and would not let me register! Water has been replaced, we received our new test kit, but we have not had time to run all the test and post numbers. Have added bleach and have been running the scrubbing machine. Any other way to send pictures?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.