First Shock for new SWG pool

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
I have read the Pool School... likely need another read and I want to shock my pool. I am in the waiting game for my CYA to come up (currently between 30-50 depending on pool store - don't have my TF-100 yet) after adding stabilizer to skimmer. My TC as far as I can tell is about 1. I have a SWG.
Anyway, I have questions: :hammer:

1. Reading the Chlorine vs CYA Chart tells me my pool should be brought to 24 (lowest on SWG scale), but since I am not there yet, can I shock at non-SWG levels to 16 (based on 40CYA)?

2. I have found different results for this: when can kids swim after shocking? If I shock in evening, by the next day? When levels return to ???

3. I think my SWG should be turned off when I shock. Correct?

Thank you!

1. Yes, although by the sound of things, you added CYA to get your level up...it just has not registered on test..right? I would still shock to 24.
2. Shocking is not a one-day thing that you can do in one evening. The time varies, and is based on how long it takes you to pass all 3 tests (in PoolSchool). That being said, you could swim in pool at shock levels if you want to.
3. Yes, especially when doing you OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test)

I would re-read the shocking portion of PoolSchool and get a good handle on what the correct process is. This will save you time and money in the long run!

Why do you want to shock your pool?

shep377 said:
1. Reading the Chlorine vs CYA Chart tells me my pool should be brought to 24 (lowest on SWG scale), but since I am not there yet, can I shock at non-SWG levels to 16 (based on 40CYA)?
Use the FC shock level for you cya level (16)...ignore the swg section for now.

shep377 said:
2. I have found different results for this: when can kids swim after shocking? If I shock in evening, by the next day? When levels return to ???
As blakej said, shocking is a process not just an overnight adventure :) With that said, it is safe to swim if you FC is up to your shocking level (for your cya level) and you can see the bottom. I also avoid swimming when CC >0.5 ppm since it can bother the eyes.

shep377 said:
3. I think my SWG should be turned off when I shock. Correct?
Yes. Use bleach or liquid chlorine to chlorinate.

So I shock it up to correct levels for my CYA, and kids should still be able to swim as long as CC < 0.5 and can see bottom. Good.

Looking at the Shock document - it says until OCLT passes... so I do this and my CL stays up at, say, 16 overnight. Then I just let it drop naturally over a few days be running the pump and turning off or down the SWG?

shep377 said:
Looking at the Shock document - it says until OCLT passes... so I do this and my CL stays up at, say, 16 overnight. Then I just let it drop naturally over a few days be running the pump and turning off or down the SWG?
There are three criteria to pass before letting the chlorine drop (see my sig), but when you pass jsut let it drop until it is in normal range (for your cya level).

You didn't answer my question though, why are you shocking?

Why are you shocking the pool? What does the water look like? Is there algae? What are the current test levels? In my six years of operating my current pool, I have never had to shock it. Shocking is done for a reason.

My current tests are: TC 1, pH 7.3 and TA 200. A pool store said I had 40 CYA.
My water seems very clear to me.
I don't see algae.

My reason for wanting to shock the pool was that the CL level seems to keep dropping on me. I raise it up with bleach to 3, and then it drops over the next day or two and I have to add more. I know this is standard of sorts because it has been hot and kids playing a lot, but I have a SWG (aqua-rite - t9) running for at least 9 hours per day at 70%. I thought the SWG would hold the levels up where they should be - I mean, that's the point right?!? So I started hunting for more reasons... after reading a lot here in the forum, I decided that it might be something in the water eating the CL so I should fix it by shocking, then the levels may stay where they should be.

It is likely a matter of me not feeling confident about everything yet!

You need the CYA up in the 70-80ppm range for the SWG. The SWG adds FC slowly and likely the sun is consuming it ... although if your FC has dropped to 0, then there could also be stuff growing in the pool.

Do you have your own recommended test kit? If not, there is not way you are going to be able to follow the shock process correctly.

Do the OCLT (with the pump on and SWG off) to confirm whether or not something is using up the FC that is not the sun.

You may or may not need to shock your pool. Have you inspected your cell for any build up of calcium? The cell itself might not be putting out enough chlorine due to it being dirty. Most likely you have algae that hasn't bloomed due to the SWG keeping it at bay but the algae is consuming all the FC the SWG is putting out. To verify if there is something growing in the pool you need to do the OCLT.

To save yourself a lot of time and guessing, buy a good test kit, I prefer the TF-100 with the speedstir, http://www.tftestkits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is highly suggested also and can be bought at the same place. Follow the shock process in Pool School, category/pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

If you need to shock the pool wait to raise the CYA until you are finished shocking. After your pool has passed the shocking process raise the CYA to 70-80 range and the SWG will not have to work as hard to maintain the FC. Follow the FC/CYA chart in Pool School.

The good test kit is on the way. I will try the overnight test today as best I can with the kit I have. Hopefully everything will keep "at bay" until I get the TF100 in a few days. Then I can determine exactly what I need to do.

Its quite a guessing game when youy don't have good results!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In addition to your cya level being low, that t-9 cell is a little undersized for your pool, we recommend getting a cell that 1.5-3 times your pools volume. You can live with what you have, but don't be surprised if you need to run it at the higher settings.

By the way, here are the swg recommended levels.

Well the t15 will be coming in a couple years once I wear this one out! I'm not tossing it just yet :). I can't conduct the OCLT yet. I will bring the TC up to level as best I am able for the next few days until my kit arrives, then next week begin working with better numbers and go from there. Thanks everyone.

Now if only the algae (if any exists) will do nothing for 5 more days... Mmooohhahahaha...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.