Pump recommendation or ideas....

Jul 25, 2010
Hello everyone, I live in Puerto Rico and the energy cost is variable but is between $0.19 to $0.22 Kwh. I have an inground pool (1 year old) with the following equipment: Pentair 48SF DE Filter, Waterway Single Speed 2.5HP pump (SVL56S-125), the pool installer suggested this setting since I have a Gas heater, solar heater system 2" piping and 3 water features (Waterfall, Deck jets and hydrotherapy jets in the pool) I also have a salt system installed. I have a 12 x 24 inground pool and it is between 11000 to 13000 gallons.

With energy cost so high I am running the pump for 4 hours a day. I did the math since the Waterway pump is 11.5 Amps and with the 4 hours of run time it is consuming approximately 296 kw on a monthly base. I am thinking on replacing this pump with a more efficient one, so far my choices are either an intelliflo or the ecopump... I am concerned with the electronics on the intelliflo since all my pool equipment is exposed to the elements... On the other hand the ecopump gives a total 5yr warranty witch I think is not that bad...

So My question is due to the fact of the water features that I have, pipe size, solar heater and filter size, I am not sure if I should downsize to something smaller than 2.5HP or not...

Does anyone knows if the A.O. Smith can be hooked to a Waterway pump?
I am just looking for ways on lowering my energy bill, since the costs of electricity here is way too much and we all know that they will keep rising. But I want to make a smart decision, due to the fact that either the pump I chose is going to be $800+...

Just getting a 2-speed motor could lower your costs a lot as well. At low speed it has half the flow rate at about 1/4 the cost. So, running on low speed for twice as long would still save you 1/2 the energy cost. You could then only run on high when you had any of your water features on or when running solar.

That said, getting a variable speed pump would allow you to dial in to the minimum required flow rate to save money on any of the water paths. Although it will cost you over double what a new motor for you existing pump would cost. Not sure how long it would actually take you to break even with the variable speed, but it certainly gives you the flexibility.

BTW, you could likely get away with a 1.5HP 2-speed motor; however, if you downsize the motor you also have to downsize the pump impeller.

In theory yes. But I am not an expert at such things. I would have to research what the motor used on that pump.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Happy 4th of July everyone.

Okay, last night I did some research and it turns out that my pump motor is an A.O. Smith B840. Thanks for the manual Jason. Per the manual and my pool motor pump reference this is a 56Y square frame; per the A.O. Website they have the B2984 that is a 2.25HP but seems to be way more efficient than mine (11.0/1.8AMP). Mine is 11.5 and is a single speed.

This seems to be the same motor that uses the "Eco Pump"; therefore my second question would be, and please forgive my ignorance, What would I need in order to adapt this motor to my current pump? Will this be a direct fit? (Both are 56Y Frame) or does I need to purchase additional stuff? (My pump is just 1 year old). Is there any guide in order to control a 2 speed pump? I want to know the process for turning on full speed and low speed or how does that gets controlled?

If this swap is possible I will receive the return of the investment on the new motor in less than one year!!! If I would have knew this before.... anyway by running this pump 10 hours in low I will still save 50% of what I am currently consuming by using it 4 hours...

Here I include some pics of the pump and the setup; as you can see the equipment is below water level.....

thanks again for your help!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0692.JPG
    IMAG0692.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 261
Pool friends,

I am seeking for assistance/knowledge, Does anyone here knows if the A.O. B2984 motor that has the same frame of my pump will be a "direct" fit? Also, what else does I need to purchase for this task? Also, does this motor comes with the switch for running it on low or high? (My plans are to use it always on low and just use high for when I want to use the water features & heaters)... I want to be properly informed before making my decision.

thanks in advance!!!

The B2984 is a 56Y sq flange motor but I thought you had already determined that. The only other thing you need is a new seal.

For controlling the motor, it probably doesn't come with a switch but I would recommend an Intermatic timer like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... =t104+t106

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

thanks for your quick reply; therefore, I will not need to replace the impeller just the seal?

regarding the timer, I already have a timer for controlling the on/off switch for my current setup, (Pump and Salt System); will this one replace mine? or can I just manually control the speed of the motor?

You only need the impeller if you reduce the SFHP of the motor.

The recommended tuner would replace the one you have. Our you could add the 106 timer to yours to control the speed.

You can wire in a simple manual DPST switch if you like. My Pentair came with a switch installed on the motor, but that is unlikely for your motor replacement.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

You can manually control the motor but it is nice to have a timer feature where you can run the pump on high speed for a short period of time and then switch to low speed automatically. This will probably be necessary if you use a suction cleaner plus it helps the skimming effectiveness to run on high for a little bit per day.

Got it; wow thank you all for your comments advise, Then correct me if I miss something, I need to purchase:

1. A.O. Motor - B2984

2. Seal gasket kit for this feature

3. 106 timer for controlling the low/high speed from the pump. (Does this system has an override switch, for manually changing the speed?)

Am I missing something here? taking in consideration that my actual motor is 2.5hp and the B2984 is 2.25 or 2.0 hp....

thanks again to all of you for your help and support!!!

Just to be clear, the B840 is a single speed motor. The B2984 is a newer more efficient two speed E-Plus motor.

mas985 said:
Just to be clear, the B840 is a single speed motor. The B2984 is a newer more efficient two speed E-Plus motor.

I think we both understand that ... the question was whether the impeller needed to be changed and I thought since the SFHP on high were the same he should be fine with just the motor change.

Care to verify?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.