Cost Savings?

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
I have been reading here about cost savings of bleach... I think in my area bleach is not the cheaper way to go... I just priced a bottle of no-name plain old 6% bleach. It cost $2.85 for 0.75gal. I can buy 12% bulk liquid CL from a local pool store at $7 for 2.5gal.

If my math is correct, by correcting for strength, I need to raise my FC for 20800gal pool from 3 to 24 by adding: 3gal/2qt (453oz) of 12% or 7gal of 6%.

By using bleach, to shock the pool would cost about $25.
By using liquid CL at 12%, to shock the pool would cost about $10.

What am I missing? A better place to buy bleach? :)

...too bad they wouldn't give it to me in the old bucket I had :roll: . They made me purchase a special can to refill.. but it can be used anywhere. The first can is $15 and is full. Every time you refill it is $6 even. Beggars can't be choosers.

I have a Pinch A Penny pool store on the street I live on about 1 mile away! :whoot: (no traffic lights or stop signs)
They have the 2.5 gal. jug exchange for 10% liquid chlorine for $5.34. ($7.50 deposit on the jug)
This works for me in my area.
Clearwater. Fl.

Chuck

shep377:

Another option is to consider joining a warehouse club such as Sam's, Costco, BJ's (the latter if you are on the East Coast or SE states east of the Mississippi). The 6% bleach I get at Sam's or Costco comes in a package of three 182 oz bottles. Price-wise, this works out to $2/gallon. I remember reading a post or two stating that BJ's carries liquid chlorine (either 10% or 12.5%, cannot remember which). Other users have found good deals at Aldi's, so that's another option if there is one near you.

For whatever reason, bleach / liquid chlorine availability and pricing varies by area. Here in DFW, I have yet to find a pool store that carries bleach or liquid chlorine, but the same pool store chain carries it in other states.

If you are considering other forms of chlorine, you may want to evaluate their side-effects as well (CalHypo adds calcium, Dichlor/Trichlor add CYA). If either CH or CYA get too high, you will be looking at a partial drain/refill.

brg88tx said:
my local sam's club just raised the price of the 3 pack 182 oz bottles to $8.98. i'm sick of sams raising prices. almost every time i go in there they have raised the price on something. i will not be renewing my membership.

At my local Wally World store, I get the 182 oz bottles for $2.98 each, which is cheaper than SAMS and I don't have to drive to Thug City to get it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.