Two Speed Pump Question

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
My AGP came with a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump. I've been running it on high 24x7 since it was filled. Mostly cuz I'm terrified of things going bad. My pool is sparkling and passing oclt. But I'm thinking that's due to being less than 2 weeks old and not that I've mastered BBB (but I'm sure trying!). If I switch to low speed and continue running all day and things go south, would it happen slowly so I can stay in front of a problem or could I be up a creek overnight? Thx!

If you are maintaining your FC in the correct range, nothing will happen overnight. Running on low would be fine. it just may not skim the surface quite as well. There is really no reason to be running it all day anyway.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Durk said:
Seriously, 1.5 hp for 24/7 on 23000 gals is major overkill. Each pool is different, but I have a 1hp 2-speed on 28000 gals and I do fine for 12 hrs on low (DE filter).
The OPs AG pump is probably smaller than your Whisperflo. Most AG pumps are either up rated or SPL rated (double up rated). Add to that, the Whisperflo is a very powerful pump for it's rating. For example:

Whisperflo 1 HP full rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 63 GPM

Matrix 1.5 HP up rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 53 GPM
Optiflo 1.5 HP up rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 51 GPM
Dynamo 1.5 HP SPL rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 49 GPM

I just wanted to point out that label ratings are not very meaningful especially when comparing AG to IG pumps.

The solar cover can help reduce FC UV loss so you might not have to add as much chlorine but this has little to do with pump run time. Pump Run time is mainly for cleaning the water of debris and dirt. So the run time is entirely up to you and how clean you want the pool. Don't confuse this with keeping the pool algae free because that has more to do with keeping the correct FC levels.

Currently, I am running my pump for 4 hours per day, 2 hours on high speed and 2 hours on low speed. That gives my SWG enough time add FC and my vacuum enough time to clean the floor.

mas985 said:
Durk said:
Seriously, 1.5 hp for 24/7 on 23000 gals is major overkill. Each pool is different, but I have a 1hp 2-speed on 28000 gals and I do fine for 12 hrs on low (DE filter).
The OPs AG pump is probably smaller than your Whisperflo. Most AG pumps are either up rated or SPL rated (double up rated). Add to that, the Whisperflo is a very powerful pump for it's rating. For example:

Whisperflo 1 HP full rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 63 GPM

Matrix 1.5 HP up rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 53 GPM
Optiflo 1.5 HP up rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 51 GPM
Dynamo 1.5 HP SPL rated pump on Curve-A plumbing produces 49 GPM

I just wanted to point out that label ratings are not very meaningful especially when comparing AG to IG pumps.

Granted, but I was comparing my low speed to his high (only) speed....

I also have a 30' round, though mine is 1.5 weeks old :) It came with a Waterway 2hp 2speed pump. Hubby looked up the specs at UL and said it's really only a 1.5hp... so, marketing definitely plays a roll here. Anyway, we're running on low probably 8-10 hours a day pushing through a 27" sand filter. The only time I've had it on high was today when we put the fountain in to drop the temp a couple degrees. I can't imagine how HOT the water might be getting with the solar cover on. We hit 90 in the water and it feels very warm.

I think you could cut back to running it on low and not 24/7. Will definitely save you on the energy. How are you loving the pool? We've been in a couple times a day every day! I'm also curious if you've measured your water level. I can't seem to agree on how many gallons to use in the calculator. One time I measured and it was just under 48" but I think I've topped it up a bit more. The highest I had the water at was 21500 gallons... do you have a deeper dig? Just curious since it effects dosing to know if I'm guessing right ;-)

I did have the center dug a little deeper so I went up to 23000 gals. We are loving the pool. The temps here are 100+ daily, heck the lows at night are usually low 80s. But for some reason my pool stays at about 80 degrees. Too cold!!! LOL. With the solar cover on it's gotten to 84. I don't get it when I read posts from up north with 90 degree pools. I wish! Thank goodness for the hot tub to jump in and warm up. So I've switched the pump to low. Did run it on high when putting in bleach last night for about 1-1/2 hrs. If all goes well this week, then I will cut back from running it all day. Happy 4th!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get full sun from sun up to sun down. Only thing I can figure is we are on 10 acres in the country so nothing to block a pretty constant breeze. Go figure I want mine warmer, in Texas no less, and cant seem to get it warmer. Maybe later in July and August when it's 110 here. Only other thing I was doing differently than the rest of you was running pump on high all day. We shall see if cutting back on pump running changes the temp.

Right now it's only taken off when people are swimming. It's a booger to get it on and off. Deck to be started within the week. Then I will build a solar cover stand (found some diy on this site). Just have to wait for deck to determine placement. This site has sooooo much info you can learn. Thanks everyone!

To say it's a booger is an understatement! We hit 105+ the past week and that's when the water temp soared. I have to admit, it's been nice not to wrestle with the cover. What is the deck you are building like? We're in the "dream of deck" phase :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.