Brand New Pool Owner

Jul 3, 2012
Hey all,
I was referred here to someone who uses the BBB method and sent me here to learn!

I finally gave in to the kids last night and purchased a AG pool from Toys R' Us (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=11195811) and bought all those chemicals for it.

HTH® Super Concentrated Clarifier
HTH® Chlorinating Granules
HTH® Super Shock 'N Swim
HTH® Algae Guard™

Got home, put the pool together, filled it up, added the chemicals one at a time (with about 30 minutes in between each) then waited about an hour, did a water test and noticed everything was a little bit elevated, took a swim with the wife and everything was fine, no super strong chlorine smell or anything, but now the next morning I smell like chlorine. I am going to take the cover off to let the sun hit it some and also do a test when I go home for lunch (which i'll post the results).

LUNCH UPDATE:
I took the cover off. Did a quick test... everything is high.

The pH is 8.2, which 6.6 oz of muriatic acid should bring that down per the calculator.
The CL is 6.8 which was orange... I don't think it should be that way? Correct?

Here are my questions for now.
1) Can I use what I have now and convert to BBB?
2) Do reduce the chlorine I just let it sit in the sun? Or I could drain some water out to dilute it some?
3) I purchased the HTH® 3-Way Test Kit, I need to upgrade to a better test kit correct?
4) How often should I keep the skimmer on?
5) How often should I keep it covered?

Welcome to TFP!!

Before we answer your questions, I'd start with Pool School. The link is in the upper right corner of every page. I suspect that most of your initial questions will be answered there (start with the first four articles under the Pool Chemistry title, but be sure to read all of it).

You will have more questions, and when you're done reading, please post them - there are a lot of people who love helping. However, it'll help frame the discussion if you make it through Pool School first.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Steps to control your pool:
1. Order a recommended test kit
2. Read Pool School a few times while waiting for it to show up
3. Post up a full set of results
4. Using your new knowledge and advice for here, balance the pool and enjoy

To answer your questions:
1. BBB is about understanding, not about specific chemicals. That said, you should never need Clarifier, Shock N Swim or Algae Guard. You may be able to use the Granules (what are they?). You need to get some stabilizer in the pool and then use liquid chlorine (bleach) to maintain FC levels

2. If your CYA is low, the FC will be gone FAST due to the sun

3. See link in signature for a good test kit

4. Long enough to keep the pool clean to your liking

5. Totally up to you. Many leave there pools covered all the time (warmer water, less evaporation, less loss of FC to sun). Many do not have a cover at all.

Ask any questions as they come up after doing some reading.

Welcome to TFP.

How much of each chem did you put in the pool?
How many gallons does the pool hold?

1. You can convert at any time.
2. Just let it sit uncovered and you'll be surprised how quickly it comes down.
3. Yes. At least the TF-50 from tftestkits.
4. As long as it takes to keep the pool clear. I'd start at about 8 hours and aadjust from there.
5. As long as you want to. It only needs a little sun once in a while and if you're using it on a regular basis that's most likely enough.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

How much of each chem did you put in the pool?
How many gallons does the pool hold?

1. You can convert at any time.
2. Just let it sit uncovered and you'll be surprised how quickly it comes down.
3. Yes. At least the TF-50 from tftestkits.
4. As long as it takes to keep the pool clear. I'd start at about 8 hours and aadjust from there.
5. As long as you want to. It only needs a little sun once in a while and if you're using it on a regular basis that's most likely enough.

It is at about 3500 gallons right now I believe.

As far as the chems, I put the recommended oz of each one in, except for the granules. It said to use the lid for measuring, which it doesn't tell you the measurement of the lid, so it was a slight Crud shoot. Seems to not be too bad though. There was no burning of the eyes or skin irritation!

I am reading over pool school now, and am going to go buy the recommended kit after work as well as the chems for BBB.

You will not find a recommended kit locally, it must be ordered. IF you want to try, ask specifically for the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it uses a powder, don't let them talk you into something different.

Can you be more specific about what the "recommended oz of each one" was?

It looks like the shock N swim and granules are both cal-hypo, so you likely have ZERO CYA in the pool. The cal-hypo adds calcium with the chlorine.

jblizzle said:
You will not find a recommended kit locally, it must be ordered. IF you want to try, ask specifically for the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it uses a powder, don't let them talk you into something different.

Can you be more specific about what the "recommended oz of each one" was?

It looks like the shock N swim and granules are both cal-hypo, so you likely have ZERO CYA in the pool. The cal-hypo adds calcium with the chlorine.
Taylor Complete Chlorine Pool and Spa Water Test Kit is the one I think I will order off of Pool Supply World. One of the stores here said they carry Taylor water tests?

I will give the recommended amount when I get back home :)

MyAntsRMarching said:
Taylor Complete Chlorine Pool and Spa Water Test Kit is the one I think I will order off of Pool Supply World.
That one is good but I like the TF-100, more bang for buck.

MyAntsRMarching said:
One of the stores here said they carry Taylor water tests?
That is probably the T-2005 and does not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test...most likely it has the DPD test which is inferior.

That's the K-2006 so it's a good kit. If you're located in the eastern part of the US Tftestkits has it for about the same price and a whole lot quicker shipping. And you'll be supporting this site by buying it from them.

When I asked how much of each chem I am trying to figure how much of what you've added to the pool so we could give you an idea of what you've already added so it would be nice if you could tell me in oz how much you added of each.

Both HTH® Super Shock 'N Swim & HTH® Chlorinating Granules are Cal-hypo. Chlorinating Granules are 48% and Super Shock 'N Swim is 65% so if you added both of those no wonder your FC was so high. Assuming you added 5 oz of each you added 12 ppm FC to a pool with no CYA. That's way above shock level.

Since you have no CYA by this evening you won't have any FC. go ahead and add 3 oz of the Chlorinating Granules or (not and) 2 oz of the Super Shock 'N Swim

You're going to need some CYA in there or you'll be losing all your FC to the sun every day.

Bama Rambler said:
That's the K-2006 so it's a good kit. If you're located in the eastern part of the US Tftestkits has it for about the same price and a whole lot quicker shipping. And you'll be supporting this site by buying it from them.

When I asked how much of each chem I am trying to figure how much of what you've added to the pool so we could give you an idea of what you've already added so it would be nice if you could tell me in oz how much you added of each.

Both HTH® Super Shock 'N Swim & HTH® Chlorinating Granules are Cal-hypo. Chlorinating Granules are 48% and Super Shock 'N Swim is 65% so if you added both of those no wonder your FC was so high. Assuming you added 5 oz of each you added 12 ppm FC to a pool with no CYA. That's way above shock level.

Since you have no CYA by this evening you won't have any FC. go ahead and add 3 oz of the Chlorinating Granules or (not and) 2 oz of the Super Shock 'N Swim

You're going to need some CYA in there or you'll be losing all your FC to the sun every day.
Thanks Dave,
I'll get you the measurements when I get home. And I will order from them to support the site, since you guys are freaking amazing and quick! I def. was not good in chemistry and math in school, so I am working extra hard to make all this work haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No pressure ... just a heads up:
If you become a lifetime member of this site ($30), you get a $10 discount on the TF100 from tftestkits

The TF100 costs a little more than the K2006, but it contains a lot more of the reagents typically needed (it was designed by a member here). The link in my signature shows a comparison of the kits.

jblizzle said:
No pressure ... just a heads up:
If you become a lifetime member of this site ($30), you get a $10 discount on the TF100 from tftestkits

The TF100 costs a little more than the K2006, but it contains a lot more of the reagents typically needed (it was designed by a member here). The link in my signature shows a comparison of the kits.
Jbizzle,
I am going to sign up for lifetime before I order for sure, hopefully I can be a sponge and soak up what I learn and be able to help others like you guys are helping me here!

And just to see if I understand this...

Since I most likley have zero CYA, my chlorine levels should drop pretty fast and I will be able to get them back to where they need to be after they get down below where they need to be... that way I can go up slowly to get to the correct point.

What CYA chem should I get?

Bama Rambler said:
The ingredient will be Cyanuric Acid. It's called stabilizer or conditioner. The big box stores carry it along with Walmart and pool stores. Even Ace hardware carries it.

Ok great, so i'll let Chlorine drop, wait for kit to come in, which i'll get lifetime here within 30 min, and order, then when kit comes in, do tests, eval to see what needs what and go from there.

So pretty much just idle until kit comes in, since I have those four products in there that should hold me over until I can fine tune everything... and the kids can swim today and tomorrow! haha

The HTH Sanitize product looks like it has Cyanuric Acid in it?
http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/HTH/Po ... zestep.htm

You want the HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner. One pound will raise your CYA by about 30ppm ... so start with just that in a sock in front of a return today. Then assume your about 30ppm (may take a week to show up on the test) and keep your FC above 2ppm.

Once you get your kit we can check all your levels and adjust as required.

(JasonLion should send you an email with a discount code for the kit after you become Lifetime)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.