Hayward filter severly leaks so I made my own gasket

Jul 3, 2012
I picked up a Hayward filter Model EC-75 filter with a 1 hp pump free and was told it leaked around the area where 17 bolts hold the top cover section to the filter and out thru the bolts. So the usual fix is a new O ring and lube. Well that turned out to be a waste of money, it still leaked even after proper sequence torque of all 17 bolts. I was told by a pool company that no gaskets were used, humph I said to myself. Observing under the cover had an outline of what appeared to be a gasket between cover and filter housing. (view image below) A trip to FW Webb plumbing and a 2 foot square sheet of 1/8 thick poly rubber gasket material used for plumbing. I made a template of the area in question, cut diameter of the ring with an X-acto blade and 17 bolt holes. Little bit of lube and attached the gasket, sequential torque and then power on. Leak fixed but leaking out the bolts now so I made rubber washer gaskets out of roofing rubber membrane for 17 bolt washer times 2, upper and lower. Not a single drop of water and the time to fix it, an hour and a half. (By the way this is my first time with a pool since a just bought the home and the pool was in bad need of TLC.)
poolgasket.jpg

jblizzle said:
Nice work. Any pics of the new gaskets before you put it all together?
Thank you jblizzle. The picture shown is what I needed to bring to the pool company to ask if they know of the gaskets availability. Next time I power wash the wands I'll take a picture of the gasket. At the time I was fixing the leak I didn't know of this forum in which anything I do related to a forums project I'd take pictures to thoroughly assist any others that may help anyone with a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.