Deck building ideas

Mar 21, 2012
NC
So, I am in the process of building my deck. Well about to start. Wellll, someone else is about to start, I am paying for it : ) It is turning out to be very very expensive deck, which I dont know what I was hoping for trying to go all the way around it, but anyway, I am thinking about different ways to build the deck around the toprails. I originally thought I wanted to go under because that gives it a real clean look in my opinion. But I think I have decided against that. Sooo, I thought I wanted to just go over the top rail and stop it right at the edge of the top rail on the inside. After pondering this for a minute, I think I have decided against that as well, due to replacing the liner and I am not sure how I would like that look. So my next idea, and this is where I would like some input, is to run a piece of composite around the edge of the deck, closest to the pool, perpendicular to the other boards, and attach another piece of composite to that at a 90 degrees angle. So essentially, you wont see the top rails at all. When you are looking at the pool while you are in it, you will see a piece of composite. And when you are standing on the deck looking down, you will see a piece of composite. Has anyone ever tried this and what do you think about it?

Pooltoprail.jpg

It is so I can change the liner out when necessary, not that that will happen for a while, and the pool was used, so I have to order some caps and get the rails powder coated to make it look decent. I originally thought about putting it under the top cap and still havent made my mind up. I have a great deck builder, that actually does trim work for a living, so I can get a little creative in terms of working with the wood. I was thinking it would actually look kind of cool. Like a bunch of water with no supports. I am really just torn honestly. I can powder coat it for as much as I can buy the composite to run around the outside, so that is pretty much a wash. I do think the white top rail would look good sitting on the deck, but I am torn. I got one more day to decide o_O

I am confused here.

If you put the deck OVER the top rail, you are going to have problems getting that rail off if you want to change the liner - unless you plan for it with removalble boards. Adding the composite over the rail as you indicte still creates that problem.

I would worried about two things with the plan you have.

1) the 90 degree joint between the two peices of composite right at the edge, where kids are hanging on it. people may step on it, your winter cover is pulling down on it, etc. etc. I just see seperation in the future.

2) You are creating another lip and "small space" where dirt, bugs, and other things can hide. Just more to clean. My deck goes under the top rail, leaving enough room to get the winter cover on. I think it looks good. Of course my deck is also covered with outdoor fake "grass" carpet. It came that way. At first I was going to remove it, but it has started to grow on me.

-dave

Hey Dave, that was the reason for the composite, so it could be removable. The pool deck will run perpendicular to the pool top rail, then a piece of composite would be layed on top of that make a 90 degrees piece of deckboard that could be screwed down and it would run parallel with the top rails. That way it could be removed, but I think you are right. If I do put that up, that composite is 6" wide, so it would pretty much be even with the top rail on the backside and when I removed it, there would be about 2 inches to slide a new liner in, but that is pretty much the same situation you are in when you place the decking boards under it. As for the separation, that was the other reason for using the composite, the joint on it would stay tight. Or should I say tighter, than wood. But now that I think about it, we are going to have to go under the top rail. Well, not have to, but it makes more sense. I will just have to get all the top rails powdercoated and top caps replaced.

Well, it was a thought : )

Glock said:
You could always be a trendsetter and make the piece that goes over the rail on a piano hinge like an access panel. That way you can clean under it, change the liner and put on a cover.

That would be cool. Where exactly does the cover install on a AGP? On the deck or to some eyelits on the underside of the deck? Just wondering as I have no idea.

Glock said:
You could always be a trendsetter and make the piece that goes over the rail on a piano hinge like an access panel. That way you can clean under it, change the liner and put on a cover.

I was thinking of that. But that is a heck of a lot of mitre cuts, and a LOT of piano hinge

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glock said:
But well worth it if it gives you the best of both worlds. Now, you might have trouble finding piano hinges to take the weather and still function.

You can get 72" long, 1.5" wide, marine grade aluminum piano hinges for +/- $10 each.

Makes a nice hinge for the deck box. :-D

-dave

I used the plans at Deckplans.com for the splash deck, but I only built two sections. I chose to build under the top seat/railing. I used composite wood for the entire decking surface ($1.75 lf) and I found a clearance on rail kits too. I am planning on building a "jump platform" that will have notches over the top seat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.