Just back washed needs it again

Jun 23, 2012
I backwashed on sunday. I put 16 oz of stabilizer in a sock in my skimmer sunday night. Today My filter pressure is up 4psi. Is this because of the stabilizer or per the question the other day is my filter to small. Since the filter has small leaks a drip every sec from every pipe. Could this be the problem? How to I fix it and what do I need to fix it? Nor do I have a water shut off for the pool. I've called several pool company but no one will install it because they did not install it. The company that did will not call me back and leaves me on hold when I call them. I need to solve the filter problem I just don't know what to do. Thank for any wisdom you got.

What model of filter do you have? The filter could well be too small for your pool, but without more information I have no way to telling one way or the other.

The leak is a problem, but it isn't related to the rapid pressure increase.

Stabilizer does not cause any significant increase in the filter pressure.

What does the water look like?

I have a Aqua Star Model Fs019 100lbs sand filter. I have enclosed a picture of the water. My levels if this helps are
FC 4.5
cc .5
ph 7.2
ta 80
cya was 20 waiting 1 week to retest added 16 oz
Ch 120
Borates 25 waiting till my test strips come in to add 2nd half

We would recommend a 2.5 sq. ft. sand filter for that pool. Those filters are usually >200 lbs of sand...so your filter is small.

Are you sure your water is 4.5 feet deep and not your wall height. That would be an unusual depth. Assuming your wall is 54", then your depth is probably close to 48", so 4 ft. That gives me 12000 gallons...and then the minimum sand filter size we would recommend would be 2.2 sq. ft.

Looking at your water it appears to be cloudy? You may need to do the shocking process, and algae could be why you are having to backwash so frequently in addition to filter size.

You are right I went back to amazon site and it is a 54 inch wall. Yes my water is slightly cloudy. I thought when CC was .5 or lower you didn't have an algea issue? This was the fist day I've gotten a .5 rest have been 0. So one could be starting? I do loose chorline alot but that is due to not enough stabilizer. Correct? Since it takes a week to show up I've been adding it slowly. Generaly I get the pool up to 4 in am. By the next morning I am back down to 1. I have not shocked because the CC had been 0. So I should do it anyway?

CC are only one criteria to know if you have algae. Water clarity and the OCLT are the others. If you are not sure, do a OCLT (with the swg off) tonight and see if you loose more than 1 ppm while the sun is off the pool. I would raise you FC level up to shock level to do the test, since it is likely you do need to shock.

I'm doing the oclt tonight. I will shock the pool tomorrow. Night since we will need the pool tomorrow. The power will be out all day to repair the wiring in the home. Thanks for all the help everyone has given me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.