Amanda

Welcome Amanda! You've come to the right place! I am also a total newbie and this board and the pool school have been my guiding lights. It is great having a pool to play with your kids in the summer!

Welcome! :wave:

Have you been to Pool School yet? An hour or two spent reading there will save you untold hours of grief.

Two things jump out at me: 1) You did good listing your equipment, but there's no mention of a test kit. You really need a good one to stay on top of the water chemistry. Strips don't count. 2) You're using an inline chlorinator, which probably means trichlor pucks, which means that as you add chlorine, you're also adding stabilizer. Chlorine goes away, stabilizer does not. Eventually the CYA level gets so high your chlorine can get ineffective. There are countless threads here about this. The pucks themselves are not evil - they're great when you leave town, and fine for adding the necessary CYA, but you'll need to monitor the pool chemistry and stop using them when you hit a reasonable level. Pool School will elaborate on that.

:testkit:

I did go thru pool school last night. Loved it. I'm sure I will reference it all of the time! We have not bought a test kit yet. Did go to the local pool store and I have to take back a sample. I was going to purchase one when I found out what I needed to add. The package we bought included a lot of chemicals. I can list them if you all want me to. Once that stuff runs out I will use the bbb method.

You should definitely lost the stuff you have. You should also go ahead and order a good test kit. Be sure to get one with the FAS-DPD test and not just the DPD test. A lot of people have been told they're the same but they're not. If you order the kit from tftestkits you don't have to worry about it. Either the TF-100 (which I recommend) or the K-2006 will have that test. I also recommend the SpeedStir.