Is The Taylor K-1766 Salt Water Test Kit Decent?

Yes, the K-1766 is the best available salt test. It is a little bit tricky to use, but not a big deal.

The AquaChek salt test strips are the second choice. They are simpler to use and usually quite good, but they aren't as reliable.

I use it and it works very well. Pay close attention to the instructions (which you should do with any test) and you won't have a problem at all. I have never accidentally missed the endpoint. I've purposely gone by the end point to see what it would look like, and it's really distinct that you've done it.

It's easy to over-titrate, or go past the proper endpoint (it's salmon/orange colored), not brown (mix one drop of each reagent to see). I'm now using a 25 mL water sample (instead of the 10 mL per the instructions), each drop is 80 ppm, way easier to perform the test without overtitrating.

CaOCl2 said:
I'm now using a 25 mL water sample (instead of the 10 mL per the instructions), each drop is 80 ppm, way easier to perform the test without overtitrating.
That's what I do as well, though mostly because I'm measuring lower salt levels in the 1000 ppm range and wanted more accuracy so I had another parameter to use to measure water dilution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.