Polymeric sand with pavers

Blowout

May 13, 2012
San Jose, CA
Any thoughts of using polymeric sand on travertine pavers around the pool deck? I read it can reduce the sand from tracking in the pool and better seal water from getting under the stone. On the down side I heard it might leave a film on the stone.

Most travertine I have seen uses large tiles that fit flush with each other. Polymeric doesn't bring anything to the table. The use of a compacted paver base that extends to below the frost line is suggested.

Polymeric is great for standard pavers that have spacing between them like grout lines in tile.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Most travertine I have seen uses large tiles that fit flush with each other. Polymeric doesn't bring anything to the table. The use of a compacted paver base that extends to below the frost line is suggested.

Polymeric is great for standard pavers that have spacing between them like grout lines in tile.

Scott

These will be as large as 24x16 and smallest 8x8 with a flush fit. We don't have a frost line here in the Bay Area...at least not yet. ;) They are to lay on top of 4" baserock and 1" sand.

So it sounds like there is not enough room between each travertine paver to create any bond structure so stick with sand.

thanks, Phill

I did 1200 sf of travertine pavers around my new pool last year, with every intention of putting down polymeric sand this summer... But after a very wet year so far I don't think I will. I don't see what it would do for me. We have no heave issues with frost (south Louisiana) and an extensive drainage system in place. We love the travertine, I hope you will like yours as well.

We are thinking of installing tumbled travertine pavers for our patio next year since we want our ground to settle a bit after our pool dig this year. Is it possible for those of you with travertine pavers to post a pic on this thread? :) Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whether you wait or not, the decking guys should dig down to just below the frost line and add crusher (a well crushed concrete and dirt mix), compacted into 4" to 6" lifts. This will allow drainage and prevent frost heaves. A black sand paver base is added just above it for a couple inches, also compacted and pitched away from the bond beam and coping. The tiles are dry laid. Since you are using tumbled stone, polymeric sand should be swept into the edges of the tiles and wetted down to lock it and the tiles in.

Mason sand can be used but I have seen it wash out some, requiring reapplication periodically.

Scott

I haven't heard of black sand as a paver base. They used a clean white sand base of 1-2" when our driveway was done a few years back. Is this an east coast standard material?

One thing I worry about sweeping the polymeric across the travertine is that it will leave a residue on the stone because from the binder in the sandmix. All the holes in the travertine will capture this mix as well but it might not match the stone as most polymeric I find is grey.

They have a good 4-6"+ baserock around the pool. We had the beam raised 2 1/4" to get the right slope away from the pool and become even with the existing flagstone patio. There was a 3" step there previously which wasn't up to code and looked like an after thought...which it was. We had all the plumbing redone so the digging around the pool was done by the plumbing crew for the most part. This left extra room for the baserock to fill in.

The excavation in other areas around the yard is pretty much done. They ran out of baserock so we should get another yard or two dropped off next week.

Here is what the job looks like today...
7568708036_e9b8faa8aa.jpg

7568707872_26ff7f70df.jpg

7568707744_6918b27715.jpg

7568707460_73a4f7377c.jpg

7568707326_c77f040f92.jpg

Lershac said:
I did 1200 sf of travertine pavers around my new pool last year, with every intention of putting down polymeric sand this summer... But after a very wet year so far I don't think I will. I don't see what it would do for me. We have no heave issues with frost (south Louisiana) and an extensive drainage system in place. We love the travertine, I hope you will like yours as well.

We have 1200 sf going in as well. I'm glad to hear you like it and no issues so far.

Raider4251 said:
Blowout said:
Raider4251 said:
My (tumbled) travertine deck has polymeric sand between the joints.
The gap between pavers is <1/8".

Can you say how long you had it and how its holding up?

The travertine deck is great. No problems at all.
Contractor did a great job.
The pool/deck was installed June 2011.

Thanks for the input... did you notice any residue from the polymeric sand on the travertine and does it blend with the travertine since it most likely fills in some of the holes?

What type/color travertine did you have installed? We are going with a Kale blend which comes from Hungary. It is a light color that doesn't have much variation between stones.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to figure out how which way to go with the locking sand.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:52 pm
I haven't heard of black sand as a paver base. They used a clean white sand base of 1-2" when our driveway was done a few years back. Is this an east coast standard material?

San Jose doesn't have a frost line in the soil.

Lancaster does. The black sand has a multitude of small sizes (its not as sifted). It tends to stay in place better than sifted sand. Standard fare? No, better I think.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:

Lancaster does. The black sand has a multitude of small sizes (its not as sifted). It tends to stay in place better than sifted sand. Standard fare? No, better I think.

Scott

Yes, we have had the black sand installed under our paver walkway several years ago, and have had no lifting or heaving after a few winters. It's worked out well and I expect we would use that for under the patio area as well in order for it to be done right for our climate.

I used polymeric sand on 1200 sf of pavers -not travertine- and from my research it was imperative to have the surface absolutely completely dry. After brushing in, compacting, brushing in, compacting then blowing off I was thrilled. Pavers have all sorts of texture to catch the sand but it was no issue. Did I mention I made sure everything was dry? And with no chance of rain before the blowing off stage was complete. It's been two years now and no washout (though it's not by a pool) - but is in an area with ample rain. No weeds whatsoever at this point. I'm in Maryland.

PoolGuyNJ said:

Scott

PB delivered a couple yards of black sand today. :lol:

Here is a semi-closeup of our french pattern travertine. We put polymeric sand in early this season, it probably needs a second application as the rain has washed a bit of it away.

Attachments

• pool 4.jpg
    pool 4.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 397

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.