Least expensive SWC for a 10k gallon above gound pool?

Apr 29, 2008
I am in the process of putting up a 15'x24' 52 inch deep above ground pool. We have cleared the sod and are currently leveling the ground. I have done allot of reading on this forum, poolforum and pool solutions. I really would like to setup a salt water chlorinator but I am having a hard time deciding on a unit. I originally was going to purchase the chlorease cl02. But i have read mixed results on this forum. I would like to purchase a unit that could be plumbed into the hard pvc return line but the cost is much higher. We are on a tight budget with the pool and would like to know what is the least expensive inline saltwater chlorinator. My pool is only 10,000 gallons so I don not need a large expensive unit. Thanks to this form I decided against my original plan of a trichlor feeder. Thanks in advance.

How long have you had the intex? Have you had any problems with it? Did you connect yours with hose or rigid pvc? Any additional information you can provide about your setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

NWMNMom installed an Intex SWG last season also, and so far has been very pleased.

Here is a thread that details her experience, from "Hey what do you know about these?" to "Hey, this is great!!"

Congrats on your new pool, and getting yourself armed with the 'right' information before you even started!! :goodjob:

I read over the post on the Intex yesterday. The thing I don't like about the intex is the timer.

I have finally convinced my wife to spend a little more money and get the Aqua Trol. I like the fact that it will control the pump and eliminate the cost of a timer for the pump. It have seen them online for about $500. Is there a better unit in the same price range (less than $500) or has anybody seen any better deals?

Does anyone have and experience with the Aqua Trol? I searched through the forum and read a few post, but there does not seem to be a ton of information about them. Thanks.

I was just speaking with AutoChlor's production manager today and he said that they have released a new model called RPMINI, which is designed for spa or a small pool. I expect it to be available to customers online for around 350-400USD.

The only problem is that it's going like hot cakes and they've got none left in stock. Distributors are actually fighting with each other to get more of them :D

It's self cleaning, but unfortunately it hasn't got a timer in it.

Strannik said:
Intex certainly would be the cheapest, although a lot of people seem to have problems with it at some stage.

Hi Strannik :)

I've got a 21' AGP and just bout the Intex. I'm just a bit short on salt in the pool for the unit to start operating without the "low alarm" going off, so I can't comment on the daily operation of the unit. But your comment does have me curious. Is there a common problem that I should watch for that a lot of other people have also encountered? I haven't noticed anyone here complaining of a common problem with these units, but would still like to know if there is something that I should watch for.

thanks,
dan

gonefishin said:
Strannik said:
Intex certainly would be the cheapest, although a lot of people seem to have problems with it at some stage.

Hi Strannik :)

I've got a 21' AGP and just bout the Intex. I'm just a bit short on salt in the pool for the unit to start operating without the "low alarm" going off, so I can't comment on the daily operation of the unit. But your comment does have me curious. Is there a common problem that I should watch for that a lot of other people have also encountered? I haven't noticed anyone here complaining of a common problem with these units, but would still like to know if there is something that I should watch for.

thanks,
dan

I think it might be a certain models people have problems with. I didn't do an in-depth research, but here is the thread you might be interested to read:

http://x.havuz.org/viewtopic.php?t=1101

Generally, as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say that I got my money's worth for that little unit and then some. The only drawback is that it does not have its own battery back up if there is a power outage - like in thunder storms. It has a timer so it runs for a certain number of hours from a set time to a set time. It does a wonderful job of chlorinating my pool pretty darn much carefree. Would I like more bells and whistles? You bet, because I am a gadget girl and love those kinds of things that do everything under the sun. But this thing chlorinates my pool, it comes on and turns off by itself. Make sure your salt levels are set before you fire it up and away you go.

For this kind of money - what a deal. I don't have any complaints.

Yeah, as i said - you get what you paid for. It's like buying a DVD player, you can buy cheap Wallmart one for 50 bucks and just buy a new one each year when the old one fails, or you can fork out few hundred bucks to buy a decent system which will last you several years.

Strannik said:
gonefishin said:
Thanks for the link, I've got it bookmarked ;)

dan

If you bookmarked it because of the fix, there is no fix inside the thread (apart from replacing the unit). I think the guy who posted it is just an attention *****. :)

Naw, I didn't bookmark it for the fix that wasn't there. I bookmarked it in case I needed to reference the problem. Which it actually did come in handy. I had mentioned that I was coming up with a "low salt error". Before running out for more salt I checked my levels, which ended up being within the target range. Because I read the thread that you linked I decided to just take the unit back for an exchange rather than trying to troubleshoot a bad unit. I hooked up the new unit which runs just fine so far. I know I would have fiddled around with the unit some before returning it...so the other thread did save me both time and troubles. Will the new unit perform without problems in the future? Well, certainly only time will tell that tale.

If this unit simply chlorinates that will be sufficient for me. I currently have it set to come on at a specific time of day and to turn off at a specific time of day. I could see how some features would be nice...but with a small AGP that I have I'm really just looking for the primary function to be met at a low price. (although the programming being lost with every power off is a huge design flaw that could easily be changed. No excuse for that).

we'll see how it goes :roll:

thanks for the link and input!

dan

I also have the Intex. Only got to use it for about a month last summer before it was time to close, but it worked great. I had to order a second adapter and kind of jerry-rig it with flexible hose due to the non-standard connectors.

I will be turning it on shortly for the first time this season. Having to reset it every time the power goes out is pretty aggravating, but as long as it lasts another season or two, it will have paid for itself.

Let's just get this out of the way - The question here is not - spend more and get better, for most of us that bought it the question was "I only have THIS much left over to spend PERIOD, so if I want a SWG I either go with the Chlorease or the Intex or nothing at all." If I really did have more than $500 to spare, I would have gone with something else.

Just wanted to get that off my chest - because I kind of feel like we are being looked down on for not spending more and getting a big name item and now we are stuck with an inferior piece of junk - i.e., "you get what you pay for" Really, this unit is not junk - it does a very fine job but just doesn't have that one more level of automation.

NWMNMom i'm not going to argue about that, although the amount of people having problems with Intex seems to be more than with any other brand.

Nobody looks down on you because you decided to go for a cheaper unit, we are all adults here and understand that different people have different financial circumstances.

However my mother used to always say: "I'm not that rich to buy cheap stuff".

I myself prefer to buy cheap DVD players from the likes of Wallmart and just throw them away when they fail, over getting a big brand unit which costs big bucks and will be obsolete in 2 years anyway.

Strannik,
Well said!

MWMNMon, I think Strannik alerting people to the problems with the Intex unit helps people make an informed buying decision. Given the problems many people have had with the unit might help people decide whether to save for a better unit, go with a Liquidator to dispense liquid chloirne, or realize that their intex might only last a season or two. Not EVERY unit is going to fail. I am sure that many of them perform vey well. It's just that a high percentage of them seem to have problems.

Thanks for all your input. i purchased the AuqaTrol last night with the pipe fittings and twist lock. It was more money than we originally wanted to spend but I think it will be worth the convenience in the long run. I really like the fact I can plumb it in rigid pvc and that it has a built in timer to control the pump. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.