Which chemical do I adjust first?

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
I've been using the test strips and just recently moved up to the 6 way test kit from walmart. Our AG pool has been open since mid-May. We keep the solar cover on it when not in use.

Chemicals tests are:

Ph 7.2
FC 1
TA 180
CYA 0

On occassion I've been putting a chlorine tab in the skimmer (keep the pump running until it's gone). Nothing seems to move except the FC going to zero and that's when I drop in a tablet. The water has been clear since we opened it up and cleaned up the debris from last fall (took a week for the guy to come out and put the cover on after we filled it last fall :hammer: ).

I did uncover it tonight just because swimming in 91 degree water is not as refreshing as 88 degrees. I will put the cover back on tomorrow morning.

So should I head to Menards and get the muriatic acid or to the pool store for stabilizer? Or do I dump in some bleach and borax according to the pool calculator?

Welcome to tfp, blondemarcello :wave:

Yay, another Minnesotan :rockon:

With your higher TA, most likely your ph will rise. I would dose with Muriatic acid when ph gets to 7.8 back down to 7.2. This repeated process will also slowly move you TA down.

Also, you should get some cya (stabilizer) in there soon to help keep protect your chlorine from the sun. Stabilizer can be bought at hardware stores, walmart, pool stores, and maybe Menards. I would shoot for 50 ppm cya and stop using the pucks. Bleach is a great method of chlorination.

See this pool school article for recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Thanks for the reply. I added the stabilizer with the sock method. The water is still clear, PH is holding at 7.2-7.4 even with the cover off most of yesterday. Haven't checked to see what it looks like after the rain last night. Glad we got the cover back on though, vacuuming leaves is not fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.