Help determining new pump and filter please

mr ken

Apr 29, 2008
Hi, I am a new member, and I was made aware of this great information site by "Waste"....

I have a fiberglass inground pool, 13 years old 9,500 gallons....I have never had one lick of problems with the pump motor or filter....

I have a Jacuzzi Magnum Plus 1 hp pump and a Jacuzzi 100 sq. ft. filter....

About 6 months ago I started to hear a screeching noise from the motor, and was told that it was probably my bearings in the motor going bad....I always keep the water balanced and keep the filter cleann and the skimmer basket clean..

I have 1 skimmer intake and 2 water return jets or lines....

I have tried calling around to get educated and also spent this morning searching the former posts on this site....

My pump sits around 25-30 feet from the return jets...As of this writting I am not sure of the pipe sizing...

I have a small handicap , so I don't get around as I did years ago and will need all equiptment installed by a professional...I use bleach to chlorinate daily...CYA 20-30 ppm...

I thought about having a new motor installed . My options are A O Smith and Emerson...I have heard good and bad on both...
I want to stay single speed...
Then I heard that if I just replace the motor, it may be tough to get future Jacuzzi parts when needed...They are no longer in business....

Here is my dilema.....
I can just replace the motor for about $300 motor, installation, and shaft seal.....But after 13 years should I not just replace the whole pump system ?????? That would cost $500-$600

Then I have all fresh and new...
What do you think ?????????????

After reading many of the posts on this site I have chosen the Pentair Whisper Flo pump..The WFE-3 energy efficient full rated one....
After reading the posts, it seems that I can go with the 3/4 hp. whisper flo as a replacement for my 1 hp. Jacuzzi Magnum...
What do you think ?? No waterfalls or Spa...Just the pool ..

Also should I replace the Cartridge filter at this point also ????
Pentair has a clean and clear filter in the 100 and 150 sq. ft. sizes...My Jacuzzi filter that I am now using is 100 sq. ft. Should I keep the same size or up the size to 150 sq. ft. ????

Part of my thinking is that if something should happen to me, my wife won't have to worry about the pool equiptment...
However, I am not a millionaire and don't wasnt to waste money....
I had been considering the Hayward Super pump, but people here seem to favor the Whisper flo...Is the Whispr Flo self priming ???

Thank you all
Ken

Replacing both the pump and the filter might be worth it for peace of mind, but it will cost you more than a minimal approach. You could make the minimal repair and if you were lucky might get another 10 or more years out of your current system, but there are likely to be further issues that come up with the older equipment. There is no "correct" answer here. It all depends on how you value peace of mind in dollars.

If you are replacing the filter, I would go for the larger filter. You won't need to clean it as often and the overall system efficiency will improve a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.