Cloudy light green pool! What am I doing wrong??

Jul 2, 2012
Intex 15' x 48" above ground pool, 4,440 gallon, krystal clear filtration cartridge system, filters 1000 gallons p/h. Maine (east coast)
I am an extremely new at pools and all the chemicals that go in them! Regardless of the obsessive vaccuming and changing the filter relentlessly, I still have a very light green cloudy pool! Can someone please help me! I am failing miserably and my kids are so anxious! It is the clearest in the morning when the filter hasn't been running and nothing has been added. I have really clear water and a very dirty floor, so I vaccum every morning. By the time Im a quarter of the way done vaccuming I can no longer see the bottom and the pool is cloudy green! The filter doesnt catch a lot of what the vaccum is sucking up because it is so small! My 6 way test strips show the following:
FC: 10
pH: 7.2
TA: 60-80
TH: 400
CYA: 100 Someone please help this ridiculous pool novice :)

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Have you read through Pool School at the upper right of every page yet?

Part of your problem is your CYA is too high (possibly well above 100ppm as that is the top of the test).
The other problem is likely that your filter is undersized.

Best option:
1. Order a recommended test kit if you have not already
2. Read Pool School (note the shock process)
3. Replace water to get your CYA in the 30-50ppm range
4. Go through the shock process.

Feel free to ask questions along the way.

jblizzle said:
3. Replace water to get your CYA in the 30-50ppm range
This is the key step. If you don't lower CYA you are going to have a very rough time recovering from your current problems. Keep in mind that CYA could actually be much higher than 100, as the common CYA test reads any level above 100 as if it was 100.

Thanks! At least I feel like I have some direction now :) The filter I have came with my pool, should I upgrade? Any reccomendations for a new pool filter, thats not going to completley put me in the hole?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.