Need water help

Jul 2, 2012
Can someone please offer a suggestion? Last week, my 48,000 in ground pool turned green overnight. I took a water sample to the pool store right away. They said the pool was unbalanced and had mustard algae. They recommended the following:
Thursday: run the filter continuously until the pool is clear, increase the ph, add calcium chloride, shock, use a Bioguard algae killer called Banish.
Friday: vacuum and shock again, clean out the filter cartridge.
We did all of that and the pool is much clearer but it was still a little cloudy in the deep end. I called the pool store and they advised me to make sure that the chlorine was holding - it was still ideal - so we let the kids swim. The water was a little foamy when they jumped in and then they smelled a little fishy when they got out of the water! I tested the water again tonight and the chlorine is still in the ideal range. The ph was ideal too but I can't get a test result for alkalinity. My test kit instructs me to add the reagent until the water turns orange-yellow but the water doesn't change color no matter how much reagent I add. I read on line that I should shock again if there is a fishy odor but it doesn't make sense to me. Please help!

Welcome to tfp, karenpool :wave:

Our first recommendation would be an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison If you don't already have one of these two kits, I would recommend the TF-100, best bang for buck.

Next posting what test results you have for FC, CC, TA (you said you couldn't get this), CH, and CYA.

It sounds like you will need to do the Shocking process. It is a process and not a one time application.

Also, take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Let us know what questions you have!

Well, Linen typed faster than me this time ...

Yuck ... I would not let my kids in it.

Post up a full set of numbers ... we do not trust statements like "ideal range" ... that is too subjective.

You need to start reading Pool School (button at upper right) and then go through the shock PROCESS (not a 1 time blindly throw in some chemicals type of thing) that is described in Pool School.

After some reading, come back and ask any specific questions that come up.

BTW, it is likely that you do not have one of the recommended test kits that is needed to adequately maintain your pool. Do you use a powder when testing your chlorine (I doubt it)? I would highly recommend you order one now so you can take control (see link in my signature).

Ok - I ordered the new test kit on line and in the meantime, I ran to Walmart for the recommended kit. They didn't have the drop kit, only the stick so that's where the following is coming from:
TH 200
FC 2/4
ph 6.8 (faint though)
TA 120
CY 0

As RobbieH said, get that ph up. Don't ever let it drop below 7 ppm (or even 7.2 ppm). I would shoot for about 7.2 since your high TA (assuming that number is right) will cause it to rise. Test 1/2 hour after dosing and redose as appropriate, since you might be below 6.8.

Do not trust the strips for cya in particular. At least get that result from the pool store or the walmart hth 6-way drop based test kit. Also, I would get and appropriate kit on order...you have a monster of a pool that requires good testing (see link in my sig).

That CYA result of 0 feels a little fishy (no pun intended). It sounds like you've had the pool awhile and if you really have had no CYA in it you'd expect to have constant problems. Sunlight would destroy all the chlorine in the pool everyday. Also your super low PH suggests you are using an acidic source of chlorine - all of which contain CYA (but that's just a hunch). Help us with the history -

Is it a Salt water pool?
How do you chlorinate?
How long have you operated the pool yourself?

Bottom line - the green comes from having too little Chlorine in relation to your CYA level. Adding the "shock" (just another word for chlorine) has killed off much of the algae - and that's where the cloudiness comes from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.