Test chemical replacement

jgresham75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2007
Portsmouth, Virginia
I purchased the TF Test Kit last year and my pool stayed clear all summer. Great kit and thanks. :goodjob:

Now as I get ready to open my pool, which test chemicals will need to be replaced? All are original from my TF Test Kit I got last summer. I did a quick search but couldn't find information. Thank you.

If they were stored in mild conditions, you are probably okay with all of them. If your chlorine powder gets really bad, you may have to replace it, but I have some that's 3 years old that still gives the same result as new powder does.

Taylor (the chemistry in the tftestkit) recommends that all chemistry be replaced yearly........My personal experience is more along the lines of JohnT's. If they've been kept well (indoors in an air conditioned environment), they're probably good for longer than that.

Like John, I've got some 4 years old and still get good results. If someone put a gun to my head and MADE me say how often I would suggest replacing them, I guess I'd say every couple of years so you are SURE you're getting good results. I have individual refills as well as a complete refill set (for pretty good savings) at the website below in my signature. :-D

The ONLY chemicals that have a shorter shelf life are the DPD powder and the FAS titrant in the FAS-DPD test. Of the two the titrant is probably the one that will go bad first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.