Pump Basket Only Has Air Bubbles When Skimmer Basket is In!!

Jul 1, 2012
I'm dealing with what I think is a strange problem. I have small bubbles swirling in my pump basket. I check the black poly barb fittings coming out of the ground by flooding the area with water. I also regreased the pumps seals and ran water over them to check for an air leak with no obvious findings. However, when I remove the weir (a Jacuzzi strange floating type weir) and the skimmer strainer basket the bubbles virtually disappear from the pump basket. The only other time I see this phenomenon is when the sand filter is dirty and pressure is higher, I see almost no air bubbles in the pump basket. Am I trying to draw more water/pressure than my system will take?....is there a slight blockage between the skimmer and the pump??(a family member did clean the pool out without the skimmer basket in place last year). The communities thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

Re: Pump Basket Only Has Air Bubbles When Skimmer Basket is

When you remove the basket you actually lower the suction head a little and therefore the flow increases a little which means the bubbles get a little less. That all relates to a suction side leak.

Clean and lube the pump strainer basket lid.
Reseal the pump basket drain plugs.

Thank you for the advice. Raising the pool water level didn't show a significant change.......il keep looking for that illusive suction leak. Cleaned and greasing the pump o-ring didn't do the trick....try the two drain plugs tomorrow.

I have had that problem a few times. What I found is that the pump can pull in air when dealing with the pool vacuum cleaner. We have Intex's accessory kit with the filter and filter housing that goes in the skimmer. Pulling the housing to clean the filter can cause the pump to gulp air which causes it to loose it's prime. It will not, in my experience, pull the air through and prime itself.

I undo the clear top of the filter basket on the pump while it is off and allow it to fill with slow flowing water. I open the return valve just a little. I replace the top while the basket is full and running over. Now the pump will work again.

We have learned to clean the filter without causing the pump to loose it's prime (most of the time). Sometimes it's a three handed job.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.