SWG pros/cons

May 17, 2010
Replacing liner and been thinking about adding a SWG. I'm very tired of testing and adding bleach daily. Does the SWG make it easier to maintain your FC level? thanks for any information. I've been bleach for two seasons.

I have a cheap Intex SWG. I see a bit more corrosion with the salt but I will live with that because the ease of having the SWG hugely outweighs the con. I haven't added chlorine manually for a few weeks now. My SWG runs 4 hours a day, I test chlorine levels an average of every other day. SWG is painless from my experience.

First, SWG are generally more about convenience than cost savings. You will still need to be testing pH and FC levels at least a few times a week.

Pro: no hauling bleach, more consistent lower FC level, easier to go on vacation
Con: upfront cost, possible corrosion, faster pH rise

I got my first pool last year and an Intex SWG at the same time. So I'm afraid I can't offer any comparison, as I have never used the daily bleach method before. Having said that, I would not want to be without my SWG. I'm not a very dilegent person, so I would also get tired of having to test and add bleach everyday. I do have to keep an eye on the pH though, as it tends to rise with an SWG, but only every few days. Plus, it just plain works. My pool is crystal clear. If you're interested in an SWG, then I'd say go for it. They do make pool maintennance much easier.

abru88CJ said:
I hate to sound stupid but what is an SWG?

Richard

Not stupid, just new to the terminology.

SWG = SaltWater (chlroine) Generator

I recommend you start reading Pool School (button at upper right of the page) to learn some of the our crazy terminology ;)

koliver13 said:
Sounds like it's the way to go. Are they easy to install?

Not too bad. Some more complicated than others (I think the complication of install is directly related to how many features the unit has). Basically salt needs to be added to the pool at least 24 hours ahead of time, a control panel/power supply needs to be wired into power, the cell needs to be plumbed into the pool plumbing, then the cell connected to the control panel/power supply.

My Pool Pilot Digital install took me probably 4 hours spread over two days, but only because I had to deal with mounting it in a shed, changing up the incoming power wire, etc. If I left everything outside I probably could have finished in half the time.

Got my SWG with my pool 2 years ago. The only CON I have is that I can't use it throughout the year. I keep my hot tub running all year and go back to chlorox during the cold months. Going away for a week or weekend is fun knowing that the pool is getting plenty of chlorine. All PRO's here!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
koliver13 said:
Yes, i do run my pump 24/7 is that important?

I think RobbieH was asking why you run the filter 24/7.

Since a SWG is a constant source of chlorine (i.e. providing chlorine as long as its powered up and the filter is running), if you keep running 24/7 you will need a unit that can go down to almost a trickle of output to prevent overchlorination.

Your choices are to not run the pump 24/7 or put the SWG itself on a timer so its only running part of the time while your pump runs 24/7.

I think it is best to run the swg during the day (when it is needed most).

I love my swg...the only issue I have is since it is so simple and hands off, sometimes the temptation to not "need" to test is there, so one could loose track of the pool chemistry. Then even with a swg there can be problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.