Pool pump replacement recommendations

Ok so I am trying to remove my old pump and the impeller won't unscrew. Stopping the shaft from moving in the back and have tried to unscrew the impeller and the sucker won't budge.

Any tips or ideas?

best to use a strap wrench around the impeller ... you can put a long screw driver into the impeller to try to unscrew it, but you risk damage to the little blades if it is on too tight.

jblizzle said:
best to use a strap wrench around the impeller ... you can put a long screw driver into the impeller to try to unscrew it, but you risk damage to the little blades if it is on too tight.
Was using a channel locks and we can't seem to hold the shaft well enough. I actually think we started to torque the shaft it's on there so bad. Starting to think we are going to have to drill out the impeller. Gah!

Think a small motor shop can get it free?

Also what happens if the blades get damaged?

scooperhsd said:
At worst - you would need to replace the impeller after you get the old one off.
I am literally mis-shaping the shaft at the end of the motor. Am I missing something? Going counterclockwise. I have never had something this stubborn and I have worked with some stubborn fasteners.

There should be a part of the shaft that is flattened so you just have to slip a crescent wrench on it ... at least the ones I have dealt with had that. Kind of tricky to figure out how to fit the wrench between all the wires and capacitor, but not usually that hard.

Then just turn the impeller CCW.

Easier said than done I guess ;)

jblizzle said:
There should be a part of the shaft that is flattened so you just have to slip a crescent wrench on it ... at least the ones I have dealt with had that. Kind of tricky to figure out how to fit the wrench between all the wires and capacitor, but not usually that hard.

Then just turn the impeller CCW.

Easier said than done I guess ;)

Yep on these challenger pumps they are on the very end. It's flat but covered a bit- so it's the part that gives first. When it does we actually twist the metal a bit. We have the torque but it isn't budging.

scooperhsd said:
You need someone who knows more about the insides of these than me. It may end up easier to just replace the whole package (motor and pump) with a whole new setup.

If you have one - try penetrating oil and an impact wrench to loosen the screw.

I have put wd-40 and liquid wrench on this bugger. Pump and motor replacement is no longer an option as I already have a motor coming. May have to cut out the impeller and buy a new one but it will still be cheaper than buying a whole new setup.

Since the motor is shot I may start tweaking the insides a bit to see if I can't get it moving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.