RIP SWG!! Few Questions...

May 16, 2011
New Jersey
Good Morning,

So My SWG is on it's 5th summer and finally decided to implode. The cell burned out. It's visible. I am not in a position financially to replace it right now so I have been using the BBB method for the past week or so. I became very familiar with the pool calculator and BBB last summer when I needed to go through the shock process. Looking back, I think it may have been that the SWG was in its last phase of life and not generating as expected.

My pool is small but recieves direct sun from 9am to 6pm. The bathing load has been extra heavy these past two weeks due to the heat. The water is crystal clear. ( I thought I had clear water last summer but then I shocked it....) I mean, there are rainbows on the bottom. BUT....

Here are my questions......

What target FC should I be aiming for?

It seems I have been dumping in at least 64 to 101 oz of bleach each night for the past week. That seems high to me. The pool shows a loss of +/- 6ppm per day, maybe more. What should I expect for a loss each day? What should the normal bleach usage be?

Second, I think I may need to shock. Here's why...I did an OCLT last pm. 8pm results were
FC 9.5 and CC .5. 7am results were FC 7 and CC .5. That's more than the 1ppm loss but the CC and water clarity are good.

Third, I am going on vacation from July 4 to July 13. I have no one to manage a shocking process. Last year it took 8 days but I was losing crazy amounts of FC each time I brough it back up to shock level. I ran it 2 days at mustard algea level and that's when it cleared.

How should I manage this pool when I'm away? I've got NO ONE to help me. (well except my mother in law who can handle pouring 2 cups of bleach a day but that's about the extent).
Dont' want to come back to a swamp.

Here's the rest of my numbers at 7pm last night.
FC 1.5
CC .5
PH 7.5
CYA 70 (I was aiming for a SWG level but not anymore)
TA 100

Thanks!!! This board helped me in so many ways last summer.

With CYA at 70, in normal operation you want FC between 5 and 10, and never below 5. Your FC level is too low right now, so little wonder you are having problems.

You lost chlorine overnight, you need to shock. Something is consuming chlorine and the only sure way to get rid of it is to shock. Since the water is clear you will probably be done before you leave.

Thank you. I figured as much. I'm off to BJ's for cases of bleach.

Will my chlorine consumption during the day slow down when after the shocking is done?

When I'm back from vacation, should I drain some water to lower the CYA so it's more manageable for bleach? Stupid question.....Does evaporation affect the CYA? I ask because I need add water every 10 days or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.