Trichlor Tabs

Jul 1, 2012
North Atlanta
Hello

After reading alot of topics here I'm asking myself should I continue to put the 3" tabs from Aqua Chem in my chlorinator If not what do I do with my chlorinator?

What do you all think?

One last question

I had a pool guy tell me to take 3 tabs, crush them up and soak them in a 5gal bucket for a pure chlorine mix

Is this adviseable??

Thanks Alot

hotlanta said:
Hello

After reading alot of topics here I'm asking myself should I continue to put the 3" tabs from Aqua Chem in my chlorinator If not what do I do with my chlorinator?

What do you all think?

One last question

I had a pool guy tell me to take 3 tabs, crush them up and soak them in a 5gal bucket for a pure chlorine mix

Is this adviseable??

Thanks Alot

When I converted to the BBB method, I went ahead and switched off my inline chlorinator. The biggest concern is controlling your CYA levels since the chlorine tabs have stabilizer in them. Every day I quickly check my pH and TC levels and make sure they're where I want them. Once a week or so, I'll do a full panel of tests with the TF 100.

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but crushing the tabs and soaking them in water doesn't accomplish anything. I don't think crushing them removes the stabilizer resulting in higher CYA levels. Pure chlorine = bleach either from WallyWorld, your local pool supply store, etc. That's the only way I know to get what you really want.

hotlanta,

Crushing the tabs does nothing except allow them to perhaps dissolve a little faster.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and start learning how to take charge of your pool and stay away from the pool guy who told you that about the tabs.

Is this adviseable??

Thanks Alot
That's a very bad idea. Crushing tabs like that is dangerous. Trichlor dust and small pieces can get everywhere.

Dissolving trichlor in a confined amount of water creates a very low pH solution that will offgass dangerous chlorinated fumes.

The only pure chlorine is chlorine gas, which you will get coming out of the bucket as a toxic, super corrosive yellow cloud.

If you want a liquid that provides chlorine, sodium hypochlorite is the best choice.

What is the disadvantage of using the tabs, and draining water and adding fresh water to keep the CYA inline?

Seems like a lot of work, when bleach is cheaper and easier and doesn't come with CYA. Also, as I understand things some people have trouble with metals in their water and adding new water can cause a lot of problems. Or purchasing water can be expensive.

What is the disadvantage of using the tabs, and draining water and adding fresh water to keep the CYA inline?

Dad3,

Nothing...

The key to the TFP process is just testing and then understanding what is going on in your pool... As long as you know what your CYA level is, and take action when it gets too high, then using tabs works just fine.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.