DO I need a checkvalve to prevent back flow from solar panel

Jul 6, 2011
Hi, I'm installing a solar heating system to my pool. I have a 24' round Intex with a Hayward C50 DE filter. DO I really need a check vale between the filter and the inlet line for the panels? My panels are installed next to the pool and are about 3-4' higher than where the filter is. I do have a check valve installed on the output line for the panels but was wondering if the other one is really needed. I'm installing something similar to the system explained on the link below: http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/solar_pool_ ... mation.htm
Looking at thhis diagram, I only need one check valve. Anybody care to comment?? Thanks!!

Re: DO I need a checkvalve to prevent back flow from solar p

If the panels are mounted above the filter, and you have a vacuum release valve that allows them to drain down when the pump is off, and you have a DE filter, then yes you need a check valve after the filter.

Jason, yes the panels are about 3-4'the higher than the filter, but i do not have a vacuum relief valve. Is having the vac relief valve necessary?

traxx2003 said:
Jason, yes the panels are about 3-4'the higher than the filter, but i do not have a vacuum relief valve. Is having the vac relief valve necessary?

It is at the very least a good idea. Water left in the panels can get extremely hot, and the pull of gravity on the water can create negative pressure in the hot tubes causing them to collapse. The vacuum relief opens when the water is no longer under pressure, which allows the panels to drain.

Which panels do you have?

I do not have a vacuum release or a check valve on mine (sungrabbers) presently and have not had problems.

My understanding of the having vacuum release valve is to allow the panels to drain when not in use. In addition, since your panels are not high above you pump there should not be any significant vacuum that could cause the small tubes to collapse.

It looks like the kits for those panels do come with a vacuum relief valve and check valve (should be installed on outlet from filter), so I would install them. The small tubes appear to be quite a bit larger than mine and less supported, so i would guess they may collapse due to vacuum more easily.

Really? My kit which I got from a friend, still sealed in the box did not included any vacuum relief valves. I did include the caps and pvc elbows to connect the two 2'x20' sections of collectors. I think I'm going to try them without the vacuum valves for now and see if I really need them. Specially since my panels are only 4' higher than my filter/pump and only about 2 feet away. I think I can get away without having to use one. We'll see.

Could be that you got an add on kit, or maybe they have many versions of kits depending on vendor, etc.

traxx2003 said:
I think I can get away without having to use one. We'll see.
I would guess you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.