salt water chlorine generator needs a boost

Jul 1, 2012
South Florida
My salt water chlorine generator been reading zero chlorine since beginning of summer and heavy rain. Ph has been high but is now reduced stabalizer was low and up now put I tablet floater and seems to give swg the boost it needs to keep up

Your generator should be able to keep up. What make model and cell do you have? How low was the CYA? When you say the display has been reading zero chlorine since the beginning of summer, how were you sanitizing it? Were you putting in tablets the whole time?

Cya was at 35 before adding 5lbs cya leslies tested zero fc and told me generator was badThe Compupool cell rep will not come out till my cya is at 50 and Ph is 7.6 since last week we have a floater with 2 tablets and is doing much better salt is 3300 the jets were facing the return water upword and was wondering if that would effect chlorine levels maybe the sun is pulling the chlorine out before it mixes into the pool I will post later with ful test results

Update: Leslies sucks, for 3 months they never tested or even brought up phosphates. Compupool CPSC 24 SWG, the compupool tech suggested i have phosphates tested and Allbright pool store tested at 250 ppm. Also, the display of the salt reading is about 30% high so i reality, salt is very low. Retested today and Zero phosphates , salt at 3200, cya 55 and rising, and FC is 5.0 removed the floating tablets this afternoon so well see how it goes. Now for the compupool salt reading calibration...

phosphates are meaningless and do not affect other parameters. Just keep the FC in range and don't worry about them. And 250 is way lower than some reports we have seen of 2-3000.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

This has been going on for 4 months now, even when salt was 3800 display, which would be around 2900 for real, and stabalizer 75 now , have not seen chlorine produced . Compupool Rep is telling me that phosphates will eat up chlorine, the cell will continue to sterilize water but will see no FC on tests. well see in a couple days, if chlorine is being produced. after 4 bags salt on wednesday
TODAY
FC 5.0
PH 7.2
TA 75
CH 145 , JUST ADDED A BOTTLE
CYA 75
SALT 3200 , DISPLAY SHOWS 4100

If the SWG is not keeping up, it would be good to do a OCLT to confirm there is nothing organic in the pool consuming the FC as fast as the SWG is making it.

Might be a good test to do anyway for peace of mind.

Phosphates are algae food, but is FC is adequate the algae can not survive to consume it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you try taking a sample directly from the return to see if there's higher FC levels? You may need to shock if something organic is in the pool. Do you have any CC test results?

IN theory at this point if the SWG is working you could use bleach to get yourself to the target FC level and then see if you stay there. However as mentioned by others - you might be better off turning it off for the night, using bleach to raise it up to shock level or close and then running an OCLT tonight/tomorrow morning. If you aren't able to pass - you have algae growing and need to get rid of it first.

Been a whyle and lots have happened. The magic number for Compupool is 3500 ppm . A little note in the middle of the manual recommends 3500 ppm of salt. At this level the display is actually accurate. Been generating pleanty of FC ever since. But the pool was still defficult to maintain. In february we had the skimmer replaced with new. The new skimmer has a floating damper and alows the waterflow through the skipmmer to be drawn from the top inch or so of the surface of the pool making it much more effecient also keeps debris in the skimmer by closing when pump is off.. Also dug trench and had pipes replaced from skimmer to pump bypssing leaking pipes which we abandonedin ground. whyle trench was dug , we had a designated cleaner line added and baracuda is now capable of cleaning the entire pool. I have not taken a net to my pool in 4 monthes It has never been cleaner. The skimmer is so effecient i only run pump 4 hours a day and supplement with pool brand 3" triclor tablets. Which is saving my power bill. Finally. Using Taylor pool tester has made water testing more accurate and consistant. Now that pool is not leaking im having to dump water after heavy rain. But im saving on water bill now soo im ok with that.
Now maintaining
2 to 4 fc
50 cya
7.5 ph
270 ch
70. Ta
3700 salt
Pool has been crystal clear for 4 months .and maintenance is now 5 to 10 minutes a week.

The water in the skimmer becomes very acidic when the pump is off and then is sucked through the equipment ... not a good idea unless you run the pump 24/7.

Why are you using pucks anyways?

Since the pool stays clean running the pump 4 hours a day, running the SWG only 4 hours a day does not generate enough chlorine Its cheeper to add some chlorine with the tablets than to run the pump for 8 hours. So its better to use the floater for the tablets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.