Chlorine chart?

kplb4

Jun 14, 2012
East Tennessee
Is there a printable chart somewhere that tells the increase of FC levels based on how much bleach you add? Perhaps I am lazy, but it's a long way out to the pool, and I have to walk back in to plug my numbers into the Pool Calculator, and go back out to add bleach. I have a dumb phone, so I cannot use an app to carry it out with me. I'd like to be able to print something out, laminate it, and keep it with my test kit. I've searched the site, but cannot find one.

Thanks!

If you had an old ti-85 calculator lying around you could probably transfer the calculations into that, I'm pretty sure I read that the pool calculator formulas are available....Or do the math yourself....

aa62579 said:
Last year I used a sharpie to mark levels on my measuring cup. Before hand I went through the calculator and figured up what was needed to raise .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. I drew big lines at the whole numbers and did a small dash for the .5s.

+1. Exactly what I did, except I only go up to 2 (for bleach, 4 for LC). The KISS principle in action.

Well, you can dose easily based on knowing what one jug does to the FC. I don't dose using exact ounces, but usually go over just a tad.
An example for me would be if I needed to add 2 PPM FC, I'd just add one 96oz. bottle of bleach and that would add about 2.6 ppm FC to my 18K pool. :wink:

Examples for your 35K gal pool :

One 96 oz. jug of 6% will add 1.3 FC
One 128 oz. jug of 6% will add 1.8 FC
One 182 oz. jug of 6% will add 2.5 FC

One 128 oz. jug of 10% will add 2.9 FC
One 128 oz. jug of 12.5% will add 3.6 FC

Durk said:
aa62579 said:
Last year I used a sharpie to mark levels on my measuring cup. Before hand I went through the calculator and figured up what was needed to raise .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, etc. I drew big lines at the whole numbers and did a small dash for the .5s.

+1. Exactly what I did, except I only go up to 2 (for bleach, 4 for LC). The KISS principle in action.

Comparing the sizes of our pools, I'm betting I can get a lot more marks on my measuring cup than you! (Unless you really have a big one!) :lol:

When I did the marks, I believe I was using an 8 cup measuring cup (and I marked up to 5.5 I think). It got left outside all year and through the winter and was brittle this year so I tossed it. Now I have a 4.5 cup measuring cup and I confess to just filling it up and adding it most days. (That works out to between 3-4ppm FC for my pool). About once a week I'll use the FAS-DPD test to see where I am at. Use the OTO a few times a week to check pH and make sure my chlorine is still a bright yellow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up making a chart and keeping it in my test kit. Then I got a smart phone, and so I have the poolcalculator with me. It's marvelous. But I'm going to make a new chart and laminate it. Once things get balanced, a chart is simpler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.