When to shock?

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
Following the bbb method for 6 weeks, everything in target ranges and and pool looks great

Questions
I keep FC between 1.0 and 4/5.0, is there ever a need to shock or not really ?

I have left over Leslie's phos free pool perfect and fresh n clear from last year, should I use or toss?

Thx

Your FC level depends on your CYA level, so there's no way of knowing with the info you gave us if you have enough FC. If you let it slip below the threshold, and get algae, then you will need to perform the shock process. Which is not a one-time dose.Pool Schoolshould explain things for you.

Many of us never shock our pools. We keep the chemicals balanced and algae never starts.

Phosfree is just a profit generator for Leslies. It won't hurt anything if you use it up, but you shouldn't need it. Consider phosphates to be wood, and algae to be flame. If you remove the wood, the flame has nothing to burn. If you have no flame, who cares how much wood there is?

The fresh n clear is monopersulfate. I've never used it, never seen it recommended here, so I have no idea if it has any value.

ok, will try that.

have a question about backwashing a DE filter.
usually backwash when pressure rises 10 lbs but hasn't risen since right after opening.
still cycling water fine, pool is very clear.

should I backwash just to change out the DE or is that not necessary? (wondering if my pressure gauge is malfunctioning) it did rise when I first opened, so I backwashed once this year in mid May.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.