Questions about order in which to start

dishe

Jun 6, 2011
Questions about how to start

Every year I have to open my pool late in the season (as to why, there's a different reason each year- this year its because we weren't sure if we were staying in this house through the summer), and every year I open it up to a murky green/brown mess.

In the past, I dumped tons and tons of chlorine and/or bleach only to find that I couldn't manage to bring FC levels up to readable levels. After days of scooping out debris and trying again, I usually end up getting it to stick, finally able to shock and maintain healthy levels, and the water clears up.

My question now, is perhaps there is a better way to do this this year (I know, opening in July, of course there's been time for algae and things to grow). What I've been doing in the past is removing the winter cover, connecting pipes etc, adding DE to my filter (after running a quick rinse and backwash to make sure everything is ready to go), and then running the filter while I drop tons of chlorine and/or bleach to the deepest parts of the water.

What I think is happening, is that there are a lot of leaves that fall in when I remove the cover, and they are eating all the chlorine. Should I be trying to filter out as much as I can and scooping out debris with a leaf rake BEFORE adding chlorine? Or am I just wasting filter time this way? Should I add bleach right away like I usually do, or wait until the water looks clearer first? Or will it not clear up until I add bleach to kill whatever is there first?

Re: Questions about how to start

duraleigh said:
Should I be trying to filter out as much as I can and scooping out debris with a leaf rake BEFORE adding chlorine?
There you go. Remove as much visible debris as you can....then shock with chlorine.

The problem is, the water is so murky that I can't even see what I'm doing past the shallow section. Should I just keep running the filter and backwashing to get stuff out until I can see? Or will that not happen without chlorine helping kill the contaminates? I'm just worried that I'm going to be running the filter non stop and not end up clearing the water at all.

You could vacuum to waste for a couple hours to get out a bunch of leaves first but the algae needs to be killed pretty quickly
I would use 20 gallons of liquid chlorine on day 1, I would think you will be back washing every 4 hours or so.
Then add 10 or 20 gallons more on day 2and you should be clear in 12 more hours

turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html should tell you what you need to know.

Clean out what you can manually, it saves the chlorine having to do it.

Do not dump in mass quantities of bleach without knowing your water test results. If you have incredibly high CYA, you might need to do a partial drain, and there's no point pouring in expensive chemicals only to pump them down the drain hours later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.