Vinyl inground - should I be brushing - slippery sometimes

Hi,

I hear people talking about brushing the walls and floor of their pools. Is that just for concrete pools or should vinyl pool owners be doing that too. I do it sometimes to brush the dust/dirt towards the main drains which really works well.

Sometimes, when we first get in the pool the floor is a little bit slippery and the slope to the deeper end is slippery. Once everyone has walked around on the floor it immediately gets not slippery at all.

Slippery to me always meant algae but my chlorine is much higher than needed and I have no ccs and everything else is pretty much where it should be. We also have salt - maybe that is it. The water is crystal clear and sparkles.

Is anyone else's pool slippery when you first get in? The pool is pretty much brand new so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,

Nancy

Re: Vinyl inground - should I be brushing - slippery sometim

See my sig. I brush at least once a week just to get stuff suspended into the water and go through the filter.

Make sure you get a brush for vinyl lined pools. You're not scrubbing it with hard pressure. Just brushing it to suspend stuff into the water for your filter to handle.

Bama maybe you can elaborate on what exactly one would be brushing off in a properly maintained vinyl pools sides. I've been occasionally rubbing my hand along the water line to dislodge dirt and dead bugs but I've not seen anything under the water line....nor on the bottom that requires a brush.

Oils and other stuff can get stuck to the liner and brushing it loosens it from the liner. The OP mentioned slippery liner. Brushing would help that.

My steps were wicked slippery the first summer after the install too.

I try to brush once a week, but maybe not as good about that as I should be.

I will try brushing every day and see if that makes a difference.

Our salt levels were low for a while - not so low that the swg wasn't working but not near the recommended target of 3200. I have added enough salt recently to get it from 2800 to 3200. I wonder could that be the difference in the feel of the liner. We did notice that the water seemed silky but maybe it changes the way the liner feels.

After walking around on it and swimming for a bit it goes away and it isn't algae but I would love to know why it is slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.