What do I need to add to my T101p3 to run a 2 speed pump

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I have an Intermatic T101P3 timer running my 120V 12amp 1HP single speed pump. I am contemplating replacing it with a Pentair 120V 1 HP dual speed pump. I know that the T106m can be added on to the T104 for a 220Volt pump, but can't seem to find what to add to the T101 to run a 120V 2 speed. What do you recommend?

if your current timer is older than 5 yrs, I would replace it with a new 104 swapping out the timer motor from your 101. when you wire it, jumper terminals 1 and 3 together with a pigtail from 115v AC power source. hi speed and lo speed motor leads attach to 2 and 4. the 104 should easily handle the new pump. most of the intermatics use the same frame and housing. clock motors vary depending on input line voltage as do switch assemblies which allow interchanging motors and switches. be sure your neutral and ground connections are to code.

This is what I could not tell from the specs. Will the 104 handle a 115v pump as well as 220v. All the specs I saw mentioned 220v, but did not mention 115v. So if I understand you correctly the 104 can run the 115v pump and can not only turn it on, but control how long each speed runs. Or will I have to add the 106 to do that?

The simplest way to control a two speed pump is to have a time clock to turn the pump on and off, and a manual switch to control high speed vs low speed. It is fairly unusual that you would need automatic control over changing speeds.

The T105 is the 120 volt equivalent to the T106. If your pump is 120 volts and you do want automatic control over the speed you want a T105.

98landry, the T100 series of Intermatic times are practically indestructible, and easy to replace when they actually do fail. I don't see any point in replacing a working timer.

the 106 is rated for 40A. using this hookup, pump will run either hi or lo speed 24/7. turn off by flipping breaker. or you could use 105 as suggested instead of swapping clock motors. model # for pump? if you want to turn off in addition to changing speeds, you might call Intermatic customer support 815/675-7000 for input--

I know this is an old thread but a pet peeve of mine is using breakers as a switch. Breakers should never be used as switches. If you need to turn something on and off you need to install a switch. Breakers are not designed to be "switched" on and off like that.

Bama Rambler said:
The T104 & T106 use 230 volts to run the clocks so 120 volts won't work on them.

Actually - I would check inside the timer and see if it has a 5th terminal for neutral as well as two hot lines and two hot loads terminals. The Intermatic mechanical timer I have DOES have this, and with this, you CAN run a switched 120V load from the 240V line (provided the neutral is connected up correct in the breaker box as well as the two hots and the ground. In order to hook this up - have the neutral from the breaker box AND the other line to the neutral terminal, and have the other line connected to ONE of the hot load terminals.

Edit - and yes, I have tested this with a Hayward PowerFloII pump (3/4 HP, 120V 11 AMP max amp rating) - works fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No - the clock was still on the the 2 hot line terminals providing 240V to the timer motor. I was running the pump motor off of just one of the hot load terminals, with the other hooked up to the neutral terminal (marked as "A") (and the neutral from my breaker box). If you don't have a neutral terminal , you could probably wirenut a neutral as well as a ground from the panel. I'm using 12-3 NM for my wiring from the breaker box to the timer (black (hot), red (hot), white(Neutral), and ground).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.